Club runs - August 2015

Where are WE going this weekend? Keep this to Ythan runs only please.

Club runs - August 2015

Postby Don » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 pm

Quite a lot on in August, but still scope to squeeze in a few Club Runs. Incidentally, does it bother anyone else that we never actually run on a club run? Yet "Club Ride" doesn't quite sound right? Perhaps that's just me...

August 2nd:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9566714
Some familiar territory here, but a few extra bits to make the loop a little more interesting. And (of course) still scope for a cup of coffee at Chapel o'Garioch (where the carrot cake has the Chris Cooper Seal of Approval). Some good bail out options too, should the weather / pace / conversation prove unsatisfactory :-)

August 9th:
A second attempt to reach Ythan Wells. RidewithGPS.com route to follow... We abandoned this last time due to inclement weather. Hopefully this time we'll get round the whole thing!

August 16th:
Back by popular demand (and nothing at all to do with someone wanting to show off a new MTB): The Great-YCC-Does-Off-Road expedition to Glenlivet! Expect sunshine, dusty trails, midges, al fresco dining and a generally great day out (terms and conditions apply - see the Met Office for further details).
That'll make twice in one year that my MTB has made it out of the garage - at this rate there is a serious risk that I'll have to buy it new tyres before 2020...

August 23rd:
The YCC Randomeur navigational challenge and Club BBQ event. A fabulous riding challenge followed by a veritable festival of grilled meat... What's that? You haven't entered yet?! Why yes, of course there is still time to let me know that you'll be entering! And of course you can do it on your road bike (though maybe leave the 18mm silk tubs at home for this one).
Check it out here: http://www.ythancc.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2218

August 30th:
Ellon Crit Races and Pedal Car mayhem! I gather Colin is still looking for willing volunteers to help marshal the crit races and would doubtless appreciate your help!
Don
BMX

Re: Club runs - August 2015

Postby Don » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:58 pm

For August 9th, I present........

(pause for dramatic effect)

The BEAST!!!!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9567287

Food stop at Morgan McVeigh's; and we'll need to be pretty careful on the very brief section of the A96 we cover. Anyone up for this, or is it too much?
Don
BMX

Postby Nick_H » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:16 am

Don, looks a great route. If I was fitter I'd come along for the trip.

A few years back we did an Ellon to Dufftown ride and followed the A96 from Colpy to Huntly. There was (at least on the north bound carriageway) quite a wide 'gutter' to the left of the white line at the side of the road. Despite not looking forward to riding on such a main and busy road, it was more pleasant than I had expected.
Nick_H

Postby Don » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:38 pm

The A96 is indeed pretty good in that area, and there should be plenty of space for us. The downside is that traffic just uses that space to pass at 80... We've got three right turns across the A96 to do there (assuming we go to Morgan McVeighs for a bite to eat); not a problem, but just something for us to be wary of.

For anyone who is coming and is in possession of a Garmin, I've updated the cue sheet so following the route as a course on the Garmin should give us some useful directions before the junctions... Given that some of the roads may even be unfamiliar to Graham Parley, it might be useful is someone other than me had the course downloaded!
Don
BMX

Postby mpress » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Don,

Looks like a great route!

I've only recently joined the club and was wondering what kind of time / pace you would be aiming for? I want to be sure i can keep up and certainly don't want to slow the group down.

Thanks,
Matt
mpress
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Don » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Matt,

The last time we did something comparable to this as a group was the KOM Sportive back in May. That was a similar distance and we went round that at about 24kph (15mph in old money). The club run is meant to be a social ride, though that doesn't preclude the occasional sprint for speed limit signs.
If the route feels a little ambitious or the weather turns nasty, we can chop some of it off and head for home earlier. The last time we tried to get to YthanWells, the weather was dreadful and we bailed before we got as far as Rothienorman.

We'll make sure that the pace is suitable - hope to see you on Sunday!

Don
Don
BMX

Postby Don » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

I've had to change the route slightly to avoid a road closure (for bridge repairs) between Ythanwells and the A96. Big thanks to Malcolm for spotting that!
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9567287
The changes have dropped the distance a little and taken a few meters of ascent out of it too, but I've kept in the important points (i.e., the cake stop and going as far as the mythical Wells of Ythan!).
Don
BMX

Postby Don » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks to Graham, Chico, Alan, Ritchie, Kev and Fraser for making today's a cracking Club Run! Just a little windier than might have been ideal, but the route proved to be interesting... We may even have found a road previously unknown even to Graham Parley, even if it was only a couple of K. I think we can claim to have found the fables Source of the Ythan, even though it seemed to be little more than a muddy burn an overgrown marshy bit of ground that might have been a small pond. No triumphant signage, visitor centre, viewpoint - nada. Slightly disappointing, but I'm claiming it as having been found!
The bridge closure was less of a disappointment. For a change, no-one was messing about with the road closure signs and our doesn't-apply-to-bikes approach to the road closure meant a somewhat adventurous crossing of what was left of the bridge. At least that meant a speedier arrival at Morgan McVeigh's for a scone and coffee. Big thanks to Fraser for "volunteering" to sit outside and ensure the bikes were left unmolested :-)
I'm sure we'll be back (but only after the bridge is back in service properly).
Don
BMX

Return to Ythan Club Runs