New Second Choice Away (Sportive/Training) Kit

General chit chat

New Second Choice Away (Sportive/Training) Kit

Postby Andy D » Wed May 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Folks, your glorious leader and I have been in conference about getting ourselves another (re-vamped) 2nd Choice/Away Kit/Training/Sportive Kit designed.

Now before people throw their arms up in horror at the expense, there is no need, I suspect ChampSystem will do us the design for free and the kit is really just another bit of cycling kit which bears Ythan cc/Ythan QL logos etc so that you can declare your undying love for this wee club - YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THIS KIT.

This has been a successful venture in the past with two previous incarnations and they were popular.

The proposed design will be a bit of an inverted homage to our current kit, imagine the blue bits being black and the black bits being blue and the white bits being maybe where we had blue or black bits......I hope that makes sense?!?

I propose to do a very basic black shorts design which means that these could be mixed and matched with our existing kit but the jersey has to be different and distinct from the current approved BCF/Scottish Cycling registered colours.

Things to remember though:

THIS IS NOT THE APPROVED RACE KIT (jersey anyway) - you cannot buy it and wear it at open events run under BCF Rules - OK? GOT THAT? - Good.

When we get this kit dinna (please) be ordering dozens of various types of garment, please just stick to jerseys and shorts and jackets/gilets. We don't need skinsuits and all sorts in this gear. Thanks.

Please feel free to express your opinions/indifference/sheer unadulterated anger at this proposal.

Cheers,
Andy D (Ythan's award winning kit designer)
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Re: New Second Choice Away (Sportive/Training) Kit

Postby bbavidge » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Great idea Andy! Hope you get things set up as I would be interested in bib shorts & short sleeve jersey.
bbavidge
Stabalizers

Postby Scotty » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 am

Cracking idea. What's the chances of making it more commuter friendly, ie brighter?
Scotty
BMX

Postby Chris C » Thu May 08, 2014 10:18 am

Like the idea Andy as I haven't bought anything cycling orientated for about 2 days. Reflective detail on a jacket would be good.
Chris C
Maillot Jaune

Postby ScottG » Thu May 08, 2014 10:57 am

I'm in.

You can never have too many jerseys.
ScottG
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Thu May 08, 2014 12:08 pm

With regard to the reflective accents on jackets, I believe Champsystem already do such a garment, you should research their catalogue for these.

I propose that the rear elevation of the kit is 'ythan' blue rather than the current black, white is too likely to get too grubby too quickly.

Will keep you posted with design then ordering progress.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Peterh » Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 am

Great idea, as already said you can never have enough kit although the girlfriend might disagree, and as I've only been out once with the club and missed the March order it's perfect timing.
Peterh
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Meldrum Mark » Wed May 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Andy like it! Also agree with Scotty, so how about replacing the white with hi viz yellow? Lampre have shocking pink & Sagan does hi viz green, so how about it?

It would differentiate the two kits more clearly too...
Meldrum Mark
BMX

Postby Andy Scouller » Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Third vote for the hi viz options, I like to support the club while commuting, I also like being seen on the bike.
Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Postby Andy D » Fri May 16, 2014 6:52 am

The kit shall be as bright and light coloured as I think we can get away with but will not be hi-viz. Sorry.

The intention is that this kit is used for Sportives etc. There is any number of hi-viz articles of clothing for sale for cycling, this will be club kit in club colours.

I take on board what people are saying about commuting and being seen - I have my own views on this and as I am typing already I might as well air them!! - my view is that you can wear head to toe hi-viz yellow or all black - the simple fact is that if drivers aren't looking - they won't see you, no matter what you are wearing.

Having said that I know that wearing bright colours etc is perceived to be the safest option by those riding and by those driving, so if there is a collision, the colours worn may be taken into account because of that perception (my own experiences are that hi-viz yellow makes little if any difference in how close drivers come to me and my bike, how many near misses I have etc) Having said that I often wear a bright blue Endura jacket for commuting and it seems to get seen - but equally I find positioning on the road and fitting good lights even for daylight in certain circumstances has a stronger effect than wearing hi-viz, especially in an urban environment where studies have shown that drivers do not react to the presence of hi-viz in their peripheral vision or in their plain view.

Nice ideas folks but if you want hi viz - go get on the Endura or Altura websites (these are my opinions and not necessarily those of the Club nor RoSPA!!)
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Next

Return to Chinwag