Graham Gerrard

Welcome to the board. Read this first before posting on the board. Problems with the forum, try here for help.

Graham Gerrard

Postby Colin A » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Dear club members,

It is with great sadness that I have to pass on the news that our club president Graham Gerrard died this morning following a period of ill health

Graham was a founder member of the club and has worked on the committee for the past 25 years. His encylopaedic knowledge of the rules and regulations in cycling always kept us on the right path with the club.

Graham was a true gentleman and will be greatly missed by his friends in YCC.

Our thoughts are with Carole and his family.

I will put out a note when I hear about funeral arrangements

Colin
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Graham Gerrard

Postby Colin A » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:06 pm

From James Hall:

Thank you for letting us know. I'm truly saddened by this news and our thoughts go out to all family and friends at this time.

Graham is the first person I ever met on my first sunday ythan cc run back when I was 15yrs... He was the one encouraging me in all weathers and naturally a yoda of all knowledge and advice. He's also the reason I got back on my bike more recently having bumped into him around haddo a good few times last year and most recently too.

Graham will be sadly missed by so many with so many memories. He did so much for so many people.

I feel very privileged to have know him over the years.

James
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Very sad news. Graham seemed to have bounced back amazingly well after his illness and it was great to see him back and still involved after all these years.

He will indeed be missed.

I am sure we will come up with a fitting tribute to a true stalwart in our community, in the meantime I offer my sincere condolences to Graham's family and closest friends.

Andy D
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby malcolm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Thoughts are with Graham's family tonight.

I first met him many years ago, long before I joined Ythan. His son Neil and myself road raced at the same time, Neil as a junior and me in my first few years as a senior so we always used to bump into each other. Graham was always on hand to help out and his advice when I started running the Grampian Grand Prix, especially when it came to sorting out the finances, was invaluable.

The last few times we chatted it was clear that he was immensely proud of the position that the club now finds itself in and although the last few years have seen the club take huge steps forward, the seeds of that development were planted long ago by Graham and the band of enthusiaists that got together in 1987.

Colin's words "true gentleman" sum it up.

Malcolm & family
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby wardy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Very saddened to hear the news about Graham. I have known Graham since the start of Ythan CC when I was new to Ellon. He is very much a part of the fabric of the club. Graham always made himself available for all things cycling, representing the club at many of the important disctrict and SCU meetings that no one else would attend.
He will be sorely missed by all in Scottish Cycling.

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Graham Ward
wardy
Grifter

Postby Col » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

This news comes as a shock to me. Last time I met Graham was at the Alford Transport Museum and he seemed in good spirits and well on the road to recovery. Please pass on condolences to his family from both Fiona and myself if you can Colin.
Col
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:24 am

We are all shocked and very much saddened by the news of Graham. Graham has been a great to help to the Ythan QL always there to lend a hand on Saturday mornings whenever he could. Graham has also been a great help to me personally with my ADCA stuff especially with regards the consitution and rules and regulations.

He was always helpful and to reiterate what Colin said certainly a "true gentleman". We offer our sincerest condolences to Graham's family.

Claire, Karl, Zak and Adam
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby megamouth » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:06 pm

That's very sad news. Before we went off on holiday he was as chirpy as I've ever seen him. It'll not be the same not having him around.
megamouth
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm

From Boyd Ross

"Ho Colin,
Thanks for forwarding the sad news of Graham's passing - I echo the sentiments seen on the e-mail threads yesterday.
Graham truly was a rock for the Ythan CC and I look back fondly on some of it's earliest days - the fact the club developed and grew into what it is now is a tribute to Graham's sterling efforts and those of the various committee members over the years.
I'm certain Graham would have been delighted to have been able to witness what's been a great period for UK + Scottish Cycling - The World Championships - road + track success, The Tour with Bradley, Cav + Chris Froome, The Olympics - Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton and all the new folks bursting thru'; tremendous - really great however the success on the international stage starts with grass roots club activities...............................+ Graham was an example to us all here - he'll be greatly missed by everyone that knew him - but it was a pleasure to have known him.

Kind Rgds + Yours in Sport

Boyd
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 pm

From Adam Robson

Very sad news, Graham was one of the main people who encouraged me to cycle, when I first turned up to the Auchterellon car park on a battered old mountain bike for an YthanCC confined, as everyone has said, a quiet guy who was always at the confined events to time keep, wave a flag, stand at the turn.

Adam
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Next

Return to Info and Announcements