Forum Access and your Password

Flogging your gear or looking for that odd shaped widget, come on in to Ythan CC's bike Emporium.

Forum Access and your Password

Postby Nick_H » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 pm

A number of people have been experiencing difficulties in logging into the forum recently and have been repeatedly asked to authenticate their log in credentials or are told they have breached the number of allowable log in attempts.

This is being caused by hacking / spamming attempts. Spammers have realised they can no longer register on boards such as this as the question and answer and logic filters you went through when you first signed up bamboozle their automated programs. Instead they send out their 'bots' to trawl the web for active forums and harvest the names of users that have posted there. The 'bots' then return with a known username and try to 'guess' the associated password. The forum only allows three wrong log in attempts, which is why some of you may have been told you had tried to incorrectly log in too many times. It wasn't you it was the spammers trying to access your account.

I have reset back to zero anyone who had a login attempt greater than that figure which should allow any of you currently locked out to join in the 'fun' once more.

This may be a good time to review the strength of your password. Passwords that combine both UPPER and lower case letters as well as numb3r5 are far less prone to being hacked by the spammers. You can change your password by going into the User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Account Settings and entering the new password in the spaces provided (though you will first need to log in to do this).

Should you continue to experience difficulties you can mail me via the link beneath the forum.

Nick H.
Nick_H

Re: Forum Access and your Password

Postby Joel_Robertson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi,
It will not allow me to view any links to photos people have posted on the forum? Would you be able to help?
Thanks
Joel_Robertson
Fisher Price Trike

Re: Forum Access and your Password

Postby Nick_H » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:12 am

Joel,

Could you describe the problem and the wording of any error messages that appear?

One possibility is that you can only see images if you are logged in. You can view the board if you are not logged in but only visitors who have actually logged in (as if you were going to make a post) can see images. Others are told they do not have the rights to view.

If you can provide any further information, I will look into it for you.
Nick_H

Return to Buy it, Sell it, Borrow it. Steal it?