Club Runs for the rest of May...

Where are WE going this weekend? Keep this to Ythan runs only please.

Club Runs for the rest of May...

Postby Don » Wed May 13, 2015 11:50 am

Over the past few weeks, I think we've done a reasonably good job of providing a bit of advanced notice of where the club run would be going... Admittedly, it hasn't always been a lot of notice, but I think we're getting there! Constructive feedback (and volunteers) would be most welcome.

In an attempt to get ahead of the curve, this post will cover the rest of May, and I'll be attempting to get a similarly consolidated post out there for June (ideally, before it actually is June!). So here goes...

May 17th: No official club run this weekend as there is the KOM Sportive on Saturday and the Grampian Grand Prix Youth Races; both of which take place at the Transport Museum in Alford. If you need a destination for a Sunday ride, head for Alford and shout some encouragement at the Ythan QLs!

May 24th: For the time trialists, there is the Granite City RT 25 to look forward to. For the Club Run, I propose a route towards the Lords Throat. This is only at the conceptual stage in planning, so expect more on that in a later post to follow.

May 31st: Local(ish) events include a 25 mile time trial and an APR in Forres; and the Cairn'o Mount Hill Climb. Further afield will be the Three Pistes Sportive. For those not competing or participating in any of these, I'd propose a Club Run to go and support any Ythanites riding either Cairn'o Mount or the Dyke APR... Neither would be particularly easy to reach from Ellon, so an alternative rendezvous and start point would be needed. It'd be good to know who, if anyone is competing in the hill climb / APR, and might appreciate seeing an Ythan jersey or two at the roadside!
Don
BMX

Re: Club Runs for the rest of May...

Postby malcolm » Wed May 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Don,

The Dyke APR is near Brodie between Forres and Nairn, a good event which some of us have raced in before but a fair bit away.

Malcolm
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Don » Wed May 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Malcolm; you make a good point... Having had a better look at the maps, both venues would make for a pretty long club run, even if we started in Huntly or Dyce. And (at least as far as the hill climb is concerned), the roads to and from the event would be less than ideal for a group ride... So; a change of plan for Sunday 31st - instead of hunting down a race or a TT, we'll go in search of coffee and cake. I gather the tea room at Leith Hall does a pretty good fruit scone, but other suggestions welcome!
Don
BMX

Postby Don » Fri May 22, 2015 11:38 am

Update for the May 24th ride...

Is anyone up for a longer ride? I have a 93k route in Garmin that takes out to the Lord's Throat, round Bennachie and back home on familiar roads through Chapel o'Garioch, Pitcaple, Oldmeldrum and Tarves. The roads past Burnhervie will all be new to me, so a bit of exploring on this route!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9602257

Depending on demand / mood / weather, we could cut it short at Burnervie and head straight for Chapel o'Garioch.

Any thoughts / preference?
Don
BMX

Postby AndrewL » Fri May 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Don,
Will you be leaving from the swimming pool at 9am?
AndrewL
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Don » Fri May 22, 2015 6:12 pm

That's the plan! It's a longer ride and we hope to meet Chris at Keithhall, so will hopefully manage to leave on time!
Don
BMX

Postby Don » Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 pm

No club run for me this weekend :-( With no pre-planned route in mind, I'm afraid it's back to the rather more arbitrary see-what-happens-on-the-day approach this week! Normal service will be resumed in a couple of weeks time...
Don
BMX

Return to Ythan Club Runs