South West Scotland Regional Talent Development Programme

South West Scotland Regional Talent Development Programme

Postby Chris S » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:37 am

The newly launched South West Scotland Regional Talent Development programme held it’s first training day on Sunday.

The programme aims to help keen youngsters develop as racing cyclists with aim of bridging the gap between the highly successful go-ride youth programme and the Scottish Cycling and British Cycling talent & performance programmes.

Coordinated by Scottish Cycling regional development officer and run by the growing group of qualified coaches in the area, the programme started of with a mountain bike ride in Mabie Forest followed by a workshop which covered an introduction to what lays ahead.

The riders will be provided with quality coaching sessions in road, MTB, track and BMX disciplines from coaches such as ex Great Britain Olympic Development Programme rider Ewan Clarke Graeme Obrees former coach and GB team manager Gordon Johnson.

The riders will also get the chance to represent their region in some of the British national series races as riders will be taken as a team to appropriate races that will aid their future development.

From the SC website....I raised this at the district meeting alongside Colin and was glowered at by 3/4 of the people in the meeting. If one region can do it I can't see why any others can't but as usual it may have the be a predominantly Ythan thing I guess
Chris S
Raleigh Banana

Re: South West Scotland Regional Talent Development Programme

Postby malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 am

Funnily enough I didn't get a huge reaction from SC when the topic of regional development squads was mentioned. With the Sports Village and RGU Sport there is a huge opportunity to develop a regional squads between juvenile and U23 level that will save money, especially given the pending budget cuts to Sports Development in the North East, by combining strengths and knowledge. But its youth cycling, why should it be anything different than QL pushing things forward once again. The last I heard the long term plans for Super 6 were based around racing teams and regional/district squads. Makes sense and provides a ladder for development instead of the sink/swim option just now.
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Return to Other QL News