Winter School of Racing

Winter School of Racing

Postby Chris S » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi

Hope you’ve had a great year of bike racing!

No sooner is the 2011 summer racing season drawing to a close, than the winter prep for next year begins...

British Cycling’s Talent Development Coaches are looking to help riders develop their track racing ability throughout the coming winter months by holding a series of Regional Schools of Racing (RSR’s) at Manchester Velodrome.

The talent development coaches are looking for riders (born in ’96, ’97 or ’98) with track racing experience who want to progress themselves and are ambitious enough to want to race at a National level on the track in 2012 – especially aiming to compete in the BC National Youth Track Champs in August next year – perhaps even aiming to medal in an effort to apply for the Talent Team or ODP in 2012 or 2013? IS THIS YOU?

If so, and you can make the following sessions in Manchester (see below), then please email me back stating what track racing experience you have, with FULL DETAILS of your results/placings achieved in 2011 together with FULL DETAILS of your racing plans and ambitions for 2012. Please be as detailed as possible as this information will be used to help decide which riders are selected for the RSR’s.

*Coaches – please forward this email on to any riders that you think may want to apply.

RSR dates coming up:
October 30th 8am – 2pm
November 12th 11am – 5pm
December 3rd 11am – 5pm
December 20th 11am – 5pm
*2 dates in Jan/Feb also. Dates TBC

Please send your email to me to arrive no later than Wednesday October 5th after which I will notify those riders that have been selected to go to the RSR’s. **Please note selected riders will have to make their own way to and from the sessions and further details will be given to selected riders.

Best regards

Mark McKay
British Cycling Talent Team Coach
British Cycling, National Cycling Centre, Stuart Street, Manchester, M11 4DQ
Telephone: +44 (0)161 274 2000 | Mobile: +44 (0)7515606705 | E: markmckay@britishcycling.org.uk
Chris S
Raleigh Banana

Re: Winter School of Racing

Postby Chris S » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 am

I know the majority of dates for this are inconvient what with school and the likes but if anyone is serious about their racing and looking to improve and see how the competition are then a trip south for one of these would be well worth it. I know the distance/cost involved for a weekend in Manchester is a fair amount so wondering if there is anything the club can do the support any riders that want to take part (contribution to some petrol or something similar)

This is an area that shows we need to be looking to get sponsors/fundraising so that we can support riders who have shown they are keen to race and progress in attending events such as this as it is highly beneficial to their development and helps to show Ythan in a great light if we have riders competing and taking part in local/national races and regional development schools.
Chris S
Raleigh Banana

Re: Winter School of Racing

Postby The Loneys » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 am

Zak attended some of these last year and will be putting in an application for this year as well. Its hard work travelling to Manchester for these events but certainly worth it, Zak gained a great deal from the coaching at the Velodrome that he's put into practise this year whilst racing.

I agree Chris, that it is expensive too as its not only the time and cost of the travel its the overnight stay too. One reason why we bought a van and converted it to a camper.

I guess that if anyone else wants to put in an application then we can always take another person down with us, only 1 of us would have to accompany Zak so could potentially take another 2 with us if travel only and another 1 if travel and accomodation in our camper is required.

We can do some fundraising/sponsorship deals to support riders in fact one of the quickest ways to get a big hit of funds is to do a supermarket bag pack. Karl's school recently did one and raised £1300 in one day. Not the best activity but certainly a good one for raising funds.......so if anyone would like me to look into this specifically to raise funds for getting our QL to training events, and is actually willing to do a bag pack for one day (probably a Sat) or even as part of a rota/ shift system for the day then let me know. I'll do it with Zak and Adam!
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Return to Other QL News