Cross Country Skiiing Huntly Nordic and Outdoor Centre

Cross Country Skiiing Huntly Nordic and Outdoor Centre

Postby The Loneys » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 am

We have arranged a session of Cross Country Skiiing for the QL on 23rd February 7.30-9.00pm at Huntly Nordic and Outdoor Centre.
Somewhere between 10 & 14 people would be the maximum the centre can have a session with. We already have 7 attendees in response to the email that was sent out. If you are interested please let us know as soon as possible so we can confirm arrangements and costs with the Centre. Costs should be around the £3.00 per person mark but still to be confirmed.
We will be at training on Saturday if you prefer to let us know then.
Thanks
Claire and Karl
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Re: Cross Country Skiiing Huntly Nordic and Outdoor Centre

Postby Andy D » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Claire/Karl,

please have a look at the set up there in terms of availability and suitability for a Crit. for kids AND adults, please.

Saw the place on a TV news report recently and it looked like it would possibly serve the purpose for a closed/short circuit type race. Length and width being the all important factors. :roll:

cheers,
Andy
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Callum Smith » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 pm

definately worth getting along to this, makes good winter training! :)

I have ridden round the track at near enough full speed, it is certainly wide enough. Some of the corners are quite tight but I think it would work really well for kids racing. the flat outer loop is 600 metres and inner 250 (the two connect up).
I believe there has been some interest from scottish cycling.

Would be great to establish a link between the two sports. Thor Hushovd and Edvald Boasson Hagen both use XC skiing extensively in the winter. Apparently Tyler Hamilton was American junior champion at one point.

Callum
Callum Smith
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Andy D » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:16 am

Sounds good Callum. You might want to see what some of your cycling buddies and the experienced racers like Ali Watt at GCRT think of the location for a potential adult Crit (I know Ali has ridden the Erskine Crit course - which is pretty technical and tight in most places and may be able to comment on the Nordic Centre suitability)

I know the ideal set up for a Crit is a closed road circuit in a town centre but these are very rare indeed so if a facility was found within reasonable distance of population and was suited to the purpose, we could get something going if the interest was sufficient.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:04 pm

We now have 8 QL's skiing on Wednesday. Are there any more interested as I will be finalising the details with the ski centre on Monday. If you would like to come along please let either Karl or myself know. PM or email will do. Should be a good fun session open to skiers and non skiers alike!
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 pm

We have just 6 QL's taking part now plus 3 adults so we have 5 more places available. After speaking to the Ski Centre adults are welcome too. Either as parents or just anyone wanting to have a go at cross country skiiing.

The confirmed price is £2.50 for the QL and £4.00 for adults. So anyone wanting a little bit of extra training or just a bit of fun with us please get in touch and I'll pop your name down.

With regards clothing and gear you just need to wear probably what you would wear for winter cycling, some lycra leggings with longjohns if its cold, a base layer, fleece, breathable jacket, hat and gloves.
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:59 pm

How did the QL X country skiing go? Thanks to GW for taking R2 over 8-)
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Skiing was ace! Apparently the more you fall over the more you learn. Some of us sure learned a lot! Had a good 2 hours (sorry if some of you were in bother with your mum/other half by the time you got home) instead of an hour and a half. 6 QL and 4 adults taking part!

Learned the basics and definately needed balance and fitness, strong arms come in handy too. The coach Brendon was excellent and had us competing in teams with Barbara and I being the VIP's of the group :D.

I certainly would have another go and have regular visits for a good aerobic and full body workout whilst having a laugh too, was certainly left with a few aches today!

Hope everyone else had as much fun as we did! Thanks to Colin A for getting this one off the ground.
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Return to Other QL News