Re: Zak at Manchester

Postby Baldieheidit » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 am

Very impressive Zak. Great video.

Nick
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Good lad, looks like he is holding his own. Keep it up.

First observation is that Zak's a good starter (I'm rubbish) it's not an easy skill getting the bike off the line and moving at a good pace from a standing start and Zak looked to have the jump on the others in the Keirin drills, proves he has a good technique.

Good to see him at the top of the banking as well, I can tell you from my own experience, it's terrifying up there - first couple of times.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Chris S » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am

If it is OK with Karl, Claire and Zak we could use part of the video when doing Go-Ride sessions such as the coaching day that Paul is organising up at Rosehearty Primary School for the 17th March. Be good to show the youngsters what local riders are achieving and maybe encourage some to come along to some of the sessions that are run afterwards
Chris S
Raleigh Banana

Postby The Loneys » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Having spoken to Zak, he's ok about the use of the footage in Go-Ride presentations.
We'll not ask for royalty payments just yet! :lol:
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Saturday 29 January
Just back from Manchester again with Zak, his third session now on the track. Was a good session with half a day in the classroom and half a day on the track with the north of England and Scottish riders.
The focus of the day was team pursuit.
Good to see Zak grouped in the fastest four and although they were quite a lot older (and we think Zak was possibly running smaller gears as his legs were going like billy-ho compared to the rest of the team) he did well and they won all their team pursuit races. Great to see new skills being learned and put into practice. Zak did say that the coach told him that he got the best change of the day in the pursuit :D
Zak is going for the Skinny Tyre series including the track events and is looking forward to putting his new skills into practice. Just wished Manchester was a bit closer. Could do with one of them star trek thingimajigs that Scotty used to get people around quickly! :lol:
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 am

Claire, that's excellent if the other kids are older, they are allowed to use a bigger gear than Zak, so no issues there.

I think Zak's only chance of regular bunch racing (other than events themselves) will be at Caird Park. Although Zak is a QL rider, I think it would be unlikely that Martin at Discovery Juniors would object to Zak joining in with them for track training sessions (obviously you would need to check with Martin and John at Disco to confirm) and the Track League on Thursday nights is open to all anyway.

Glad to hear he is getting on well though, I promise you that track racing will help to develop him in all areas of cycling and he doesn't have to concentrate on just the track.

You just have to look at recent, upcoming riders in the Scottish scene, Matthew Hamilton, Jimmy Smith, Andrew Leith, Patrick Galbraith (the list goes on) who did a lot of track racing early on to find their fitness, positional sense, race reading abilities etc etc and are doing very nicely now on the road as well as track when they feel like going back on the boards.

Good to hear the updates, keep 'em coming.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Martin has offered to coach all the Ythan QL folk at the track in Dundee. We just have to let him know when we can go down so he can organise track bikes. Top bloke :)
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Col, that's great news. I would have asked him myself but thought it was probably better done through official channels through QL.

I would struggle to think of a guy or a group of folks who have done more to nurture young cycling talent in the past few years than Martin, John and the rest of the Disco group (as the parents play a big role as well).

It would be good to get some track time down there for the QL kids, as the set up helps track and road racing skills, given that it is a tarmac, long (400m) track with little in the way of banking.

Didn't mention Kev Stewart in my last post, another Disco rider done good (see Braveheart Fund Website, funded riders' blog) he has just signed for SiS as one of their elite track sprinters - he was at the Commie Games in Delhi and will ride the Track World Cup round at Manchester soon. That laddie never seriously sat on a bike until about 3 or 4 years ago!!
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Return to Other QL News