BC Olympic Talent Coach - Scotland

BC Olympic Talent Coach - Scotland

Postby Colin A » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:18 pm

I received this e-mail from Mark McKay who is the BC Olympic Talent Coach Scotland.

Hi Colin

Looking at helping with yth development – could i be of any help? Do you have any closed road venues that could be used for youth road race training sessions? Eg a large carpark area, paths round a park, private grounds etc? The venue for the GP? I’d be keen to explore some help with coaching/ideas for yourselves and the Tigers combined???
We had a youth race series last year – The Skinny Tire Series – a combination of circuit and track racing that was v popular! Same again for 2011 (maybe 15 races in total). Could this be a target for some Grampian kids? I appreciate the travelling aspects – and we are looking to incorporate your races to involve/help you – Keith Stocker may already have been in touch??

Track!! Can we think about how to get Grampian kids involved?? How accessible is Caird Park, Dundee for regular sessions? An Aviemore based rider, keen on track, gets to sat sessions with the Discovery kids regularly during the summer. Is this a possibility for your guys? Easter Hols – hoping to get track schools at Caird Pk and Meadowbank in April. Be perfect for upskilling Youth A, B and C newbies....

Just a few thoughts! Worth having a chat?
Cheers
mark

My reply is detailed below:

Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have looked through your points and responded below.

MM- Looking at helping with yth development – could i be of any help? Do you have any closed road venues that could be used for youth road race training sessions? Eg a large carpark area, paths round a park, private grounds etc? The venue for the GP? I’d be keen to explore some help with coaching/ideas for yourselves and the Tigers combined???

Mark,

CA - Thanks for the offer and we would be delighted with any contribution to helping us develop the club as a whole and the youths on an individual basis.

Ewan Murray used the track at Alford (the GGP) track for some training and it is usually available depending on what other events they have arranged there. We will be running some sort of youth event there on the 22nd of May next year.

There is also a Kart track at Lochter near Oldmeldrum which our coach is looking at this weekend. We were told we could use it but we could be kicked off at short notice if the owner gets a corporate hire. The other track we have been offered on Sunday mornings is a Kart track at Boyndie near Banff. They can’t race Karts there on Sundays due to noise limitations. There is a large car park at the Aberdeen Exhibition centre. I’ll see if I can find out about that. A combined session with Tigers and perhaps the youths from Forres would be good.

If you have any dates in mind to run day sessions up here I can see what I can do to organise a venue.

MM - We had a youth race series last year – The Skinny Tire Series – a combination of circuit and track racing that was v popular! Same again for 2011 (maybe 15 races in total). Could this be a target for some Grampian kids? I appreciate the travelling aspects – and we are looking to incorporate your races to involve/help you – Keith Stocker may already have been in touch??

CA- One of the areas that does concern us is that Ewan ran the kids races we did on the day and so we are a bit wary of what standard and format the races should take for 2011. One opportunity we took last year was when our town (Ellon) held a pedal car race in a closed 800m town centre circuit. We ran a small youth race and a confined adult race. We would like to open that up for next year. Our squad would definitely be up for travelling to some other events and I would like to see how the events are run

MM - Track!! Can we think about how to get Grampian kids involved?? How accessible is Caird Park, Dundee for regular sessions? An Aviemore based rider, keen on track, gets to sat sessions with the Discovery kids regularly during the summer. Is this a possibility for your guys? Easter Hols – hoping to get track schools at Caird Pk and Meadowbank in April. Be perfect for upskilling Youth A, B and C newbies....

CA- We discussed Caird park at a meeting recently and it is an option for us to travel down occasionally but it is nearly two hours from Ellon to get there so it would be on an occasional trip. Our long term goal is to have better facilities and infrastructure in or around Aberdeen. Claire Loney has contacted Martin to ask about going down to Dundee on occasions. I’m sure the events in April would be popular.

MM - Just a few thoughts! Worth having a chat?

CA - Definitely worth a chat. We are just soaking in every bit of info we can at the moment to see what we can realistically do. We took a bit of a knock when Ewan left as he was our main link to the “big house” in the central belt. What we don’t want is for any talent or potential talent in this area not being recognised because we are so far away from the decision makers.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Colin
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Return to Other QL News