CYCLISTS ENCOURAGED TO SADDLE UP FOR GLASGOW 2014

CYCLISTS ENCOURAGED TO SADDLE UP FOR GLASGOW 2014

Postby Fiona Fudge » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 am

New search launched for potential Commonwealth competitors

Scottish Cycling, the governing body for cycle sport in Scotland, and the sportscotland institute of sport have launched the latest search for potential Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014 medallists.

It comes as part of the Gold4Glasgow initiative, designed to unearth athletes capable of competing in the home Games.

The programme is open to Scots men and women between the ages of 16 and 30 who believe they have what it takes to represent their country in track cycling.

Gold4Glasgow can already point to a successful track record with cyclist Jane Barr, who came to the attention of Scottish Cycling and the institute at a similar event held in 2009, having been selected to represent Scotland in this year’s Delhi Commonwealth Games.

The initiative is being spearheaded by former Scottish rugby international Tony Stanger, now talent manager at the sportscotland institute of sport.

He said: “The level of talent evident in previous Gold4Glasgow events has been extraordinary. A number of participants have had no previous experience of competitive sports, making their commitment and passion particularly impressive.

“We’re convinced there are many more people out there who have both the physical and mental attributes required to represent Scotland in 2014 and we’re willing to provide them with the training and tools to make that happen.

“We’d urge anyone who thinks they fit the profile to get in touch. The initial steps couldn’t be easier.”

Gary Willis, performance manager at Scottish Cycling, added: “Our first round of testing identified some excellent athletes. Their remarkable progress can be measured against the fact they now compete at a national standard, with one having been selected as part of Scotland’s 2010 Commonwealth Games road race squad.

“The prospect of unearthing more gems is an exciting one and I’d hope anyone who believes they have the determination and desire to succeed in cycling will sign up for the programme and allow us to help them maximise their potential.”

There will be several practical cycling assessments throughout December, taking place at Caledonia House in Edinburgh and open to men and women over the age of 16.

All applicants must first complete a home-based skill and psychological testing pack, the closing date for receipt of this being 12 November 2010.

Further information is available at http://www.gold4glasgow.com or http://www.sisport.com.
Fiona Fudge
Maillot Vert

Re: CYCLISTS ENCOURAGED TO SADDLE UP FOR GLASGOW 2014

Postby The Loneys » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Took a chance with Zak even though he's only 14 he got the forms back with the home test information.
Anyone any ideas for places to safely do a 40m standing start, a 40m flying start and a 2km sprint on a flat course!
Thanks
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby malcolm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Claire,

If you phone the track at Alford and ask for Ann Garland. Mention me and the Grampian Grand Prix, tell her about the Gold 4 Glasgow and see if she willlet you use the track. The only thing might be insurance but if thats a problem, phone Rudi Doorn at Scottish Cycling and see what he can do to get you on the track and insured. Other option would be Colin's contact at Boyndie but again insurance might be an issue.

Malcolm
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Best try to hook up with Martin Harris at Discovery Juniors. Although it means going down to Dundee.

Martin can give Zak tips/coaching on track style standing starts and can probably supply a bike with correct gearing etc for a test session. They run coaching on Saturday mornings, you will find his contact details via the Discovery Juniors website, I think - otherwise he is a BCF Comm and you will get him through the SCU/BCF websites.

Once he is up and running Fiona may be able to help with some start drills etc. Whilst this initiative appears to be Track/Triathlon based, if they identify emerging talent in someone at 14, it can be developed into whatever discipline suits.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Fiona Fudge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Claire, u have PM.
Fiona Fudge
Maillot Vert

Postby malcolm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm

I know how good Martin is but are none of the ADCA coaches able to help with this or could ADCA fund some of the youths to get to Dundee?
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:57 am

Based on what I have seen so far locally, I would say probably not.

I think there would be scope to get the local kids down to try the track at Dundee, they can learn additional skills to what they are getting at the moment, by riding fixed and in a group, starting etc etc.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:50 pm

I dont know when the next Ythan meeting is, but Id like to discuss funding for both youth riders and adults who would benefit from financial and equipment support.

If we can get some idea of what we might need for the next few years, we can start to look at sources of funding and kit so that we have it ready to support and encourage the riders.
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby Carol » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:38 pm

John, we propose to have two meetings one on the 8th November to discuss plans for our Youths next year and the other being our regular Committee meeting on the 15th November to sort out the 2010 Trophy winners.

It is hoped that Keith Stocker from SCU will be up on the 8th.
Carol
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:48 pm

John,

I have put together the draft development plan for Ythan QL next year. If you have any ideas for anything you want then send me details and I'll see how they fit in with the plans. With keith coming up for the 8th I want to all all our ducks in a row.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Return to Other QL News