Ythan Juniors -

Ythan Juniors -

Postby Colin A » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 am

Yoofs :D Who thought that up :lol:

Last night we had a great meeting with Ewan and Rudi from the SCU about getting an Ythan Juniors section off the ground.

There will be volunteers and coaches available for a trial period after the Spring school holidays where there will be regular (Wednesday, for the moment) evening training sessions for kids from the area. This will culminate in some sort of Junior/Youth race afternoon in Ellon pencilled in for the Ythan racing weekend on the 22nd-23rd May.

Everyone is very excited about developing this project. I just hope there is an appetite from the kids in the area for it.

If you would like to help out then get in touch.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Ythan Juniors -

Postby megamouth » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm

And here is Ewan's take on the meeting:-

Hi all,

Firstly can I thank all those that attended last night's meeting, I felt it was a very positive and productive session with all involved coming away with some good outcomes.

I would just like to summarise some of the discussions for record, and for the information of those who could not attend. Please have a read over this and feel free to add to this, or to highlight any omissions I may have made, as it was an informal discussion with no agenda or minutes.

Summary

From a Scottish Cycling perspective; it was highlighted to all the Go Ride framework and pathway for developing youth cyclesport within Scotland. The clubmark accreditation process was explained and how the club would go about collating the necessary information to begin that process. It was stressed that we as an organisation are committed to supporting clubs and volunteers working towards this, and how that support would take form from a coaching and club development perspective.

The current landscape of youth cycling within the region and Scotland was outlined, and how a new club such as Ythan would fit within that. It was highlighted that there is a definite need for an increase in youth development opportunities in Grampian and that the area of Ellon would provide a good base for that. There is a definite willingness from various angles to help this succeed, with Ythan as an active senior club with a number of members willing to get involved on various levels - administrative, coaching, parent/helpers etc, active schools interest, good coaching venue's and events to work towards.

In the previous year the club felt that they were not in a position to develop a youth section due to existing senior commitments. Since then there had been an interest initiated within the current committee to develop this strand within the club, mainly due to the exposure to youth programmes and events such as the Grampian Grand Prix, the Grampian Tigers Dirt Crit and Regional Schools of Racing. In addition there has been a recognition of the successes of junior clubs elsewhere in Scotland, namely with Discovery Juniors at Caird Park, with Ythan members regularly competing at the track meets there. This expression of interest will be discussed and explored further at the next club meeting in February, with a view to backing from the club to move forwards. It was expressed that there is the option to have the RDC (Regional Development Coach - Ewan Murray) present to support that process.

At this time there is the following members expressing a commitment to various roles;

Secretary: Graham Gerrard
Welfare Officer: Carol Middleton
Administrative Support: Paul Winter
Head Coach: Peter Clark
Trainee Coach: Chris Soper
Parent Helper: Colin Allanach
Helper: Steve Soper

From discussions with all involved, it was agreed that a youth event on the same day as a club senior event at the end of May would be a good target to aim for, fully supported through that process by the RDC. A block of coaching sessions for youth riders in Ellon on the lead up to that event would provide a great opportunity to begin a programme of coaching supported by the RDC. These sessions would be promoted through Active Schools and to existing youth members. Thereafter it would be a target to have regular sessions for youths to partake in under the Ythan youth cycling banner.

Follow Up Actions

Ythan CC

Plan for the presentation of an outline plan for youth development to committee, with a view to receiving the willingness and backing to allow this initiative to move forwards
Identify possible coaching & competition venue's within Ellon and gain information on ownership and access rights etc. Contact RDC to recce and risk assess sites.
Complete & return disclosure check forms to Rudi Doorn, distributed to all potential volunteers
Scottish Cycling

Provide information and example documentation required for clubmark accreditation
Provide support where needed with club meetings
Provide support with developing coaching plan alongside other coaches
Provide full youth event support
Begin process of building links with local Active Schools Network within Ellon primaries and Academies

I hope that everyone feels that this was an accurate summary of the discussions, and is informative for those who were not in attendance. If there is any further queries or if anyone would like any further information on any points raised please feel free to get in touch and either myself of Rudi will be happy to assist you.

I look forward to hearing from the club in due course and fell very confident that with all the willingness expressed so far that Ythan CC can form an important part of developing youth cycling within Grampian.

Best regards,

Ewan

Ewan Murray

Regional Development Coach - Grampian
megamouth
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:16 pm

The future is blue and white with a bit of black

On Saturday, Graham Gerrard, Ewan, Robbie, Hazel (from Aberdeenshire council) a look round Gordon Park in Ellon for the Junior sessions. the Park looks ideal with plenty of grassy areas for the kids to practice control skills, obstacle courses etc. The park also has a tarred "figure of eight" walkway round the perimeter so it can be used for some racing. The only issues is that it is narrow and it is a public walkway. So we will require lots of signage and some common sense from the kids racing.

The council have given their permission to use it and so we can progress.

Initially we will be running a series of six evenings to see where that takes us with interest from the locals. Hopefully after that we can develop with a core of enthusiastic Juniors.

The evenings will be 6.00 pm to 7.45pm on Wednesdays and the dates are:

• 28/04/10
05/04/10
12/04/10
19/04/10
This will lead up to a race/ event on the weekend of the 22nd/23rd of May. That is the weekend of our road race and 10 mile TT so hopefully if you are taking part in the races you can spend some time watching or helping out at the kids race. That weekend will be busy but will truly be a "festival of cycling"

We do need helpers for the evenings but we are hopeful that parents of the kids taking part will muck in.
Last edited by Colin A on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby malcolm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Col,

I will try and get across to help on some of the evenings

Mal
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:25 am

There is a meeting to discuss the Ythan QL Junior Development Team Sproket Velo Italia Squad on Wednesday evening 19.30 at the Ellon golf club. Everyone who is interested in this exciting new development is more than welcome.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Great first QL night. Nine kids riding around the park and all seemed to enjoy themselves. The girls seemed to have the upper hand at the sprints.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:40 am

Excellent news, sounds encouraging so far Colin. (how many were not already connected to the club through parents etc?)
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Chris S » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:34 pm

I thought it was a good night all round as well, all the kids seemed to enjoy themselves and hopefully a few more might show up next week as well if word starts to spread
Chris S
Raleigh Banana

Postby Colin A » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Only three were club members offspring.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Sorry, let me qualify that. About half the kids were from contacts that club members had. There is an active Schools coordinator who didn't turn up last night but said she had 15 kids. They didn't all appear. Lorna said she was sure that Auchterellon school didn't know about it so I would guess that we will have to spread the word a fair bit ourselves. Hopefully the kids that were there will spread the word.

These are starter sessions that are too low for the likes of Liam at the moment but it was good to see some of the exercises Ewan was doing to teach them track stands and racing starts etc. (track stands are quite difficult Graham :lol: )
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Next

Return to Other QL News