All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

The BIG Triathlon, Nottingham

Postby Dave H » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:39 am

The BIGTriathlon

31 May 2014
National Watersports Centre, Nottingham

2014 ITU World Championships Sprint Distance Triathlon Qualifier
2015 ETU European Championships Sprint Distance Triathlon Qualifier

What happens when you get together Britain’s best age group triathletes, put them in a lake with two tight turns and then follow it up with a narrow bike course. Answer: carnage :shock: . Not long into the swim, I was wondering why I was doing this, and wouldn’t it be much nicer having a leisurely swim in Knockburn with Dave Mac and Bill Dallas. I’ve not been punched as much, since I last played rugby.

I’m not sure if it’s the same in cycle only races. In Triathlon, the rules state for a non-drafting bike race you must stay at least 7 bike lengths behind the bike in front and if you overtake then this must be completed in approx. 5 secs. At Nottingham the bike course is a single lane circular track with several pinch points. Add into the mix a load of adrenalin pumped up triathletes, and the bikes bunch up at the corners and people get knocked off the course. The draft busters didn’t see it this way and reportedly penalized over 35 riders for drafting and other violations, all back-up by video evidence. I’m still waiting on the final results to see if I’m one of the unlucky few - done for drafting. I don’t think I am but I’ll have to wait and see.

For me the race was one of mixed fortunes. My time was a PB (01:02:40 = 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run), and happy with my bike time of 29:40 min for 20km (over 24mph average speed :D ). But I couldn’t find my running shoes in T2 and from there I started going backwards. Coming into transition with the eventual winner, I lost a minute and finished in 15th / 125 (in age group). A big lesson learnt, “make sure you know where your flippin shoes are next time” said my lovely wife :roll: . A few seconds can cost you a whole heap of places.
Dave H
Grifter

Re: The BIG Triathlon, Nottingham

Postby Colin A » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Hope you get a place. seems a long way to go for a DNF because of the course.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Dave H » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 am

Yeah it was a fair distance to travel. But just about all the qualifiers are in England, which is a bit unfair on the Scottish triathletes who have to travel the furthest.
Dave H
Grifter

Postby dave mac » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Every days a school day Mr H ! Sounds like a hard event - well done

Great night at Knockburn tonight - couple o mile swim in relatively warm water - perfect :D
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Return to The Blue Final