Kinross cc cx race at lochore

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Kinross cc cx race at lochore

Postby Andy Scouller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Fortunately the weather gods were kind to Perthshire as this course has a reputation for being very muddy! I had even shod my bike with skinny cx tyres in anticipation of a mud bath. We had heard there wasn't much climbing involved at this race so we were interest to see what they the course designers at Kinross cc would come up with, and they didn't dissapoint.

The vast majority of the course was grass track based with two spiral sections that saw you riding in ever decreasing circles until you got to the center then working you way back out of the center in an increasing spiral, these sections really showed who had bike handling skills as a lot of time could be won and lost round the corners. Fitness was highlighted as well as the grass sapped your strength.

There was a good turn out from the ythanites with Scott Bates in the under 8, William Cooper in the under 12's, Hamish Cooper in the Juniors race and myself and Russ in the seniors.

A big well done to the youth section with Scott coming in second, William coming in 11th and Hamish taking third in his race... It could have been a second place if he hadn't listened to his dad's advice :)

As for the seniors race, after a blistering start by myself putting me in the top 15 which I held for about 1/2 a lap it went down hill from there, Russ had a more conservative start which allowed him to work his way up the field. His latest investment of a cx bike is paying dividend as he finished in a very respectable 21st place is a very strong field and I finished in 31st place.

The pace of these races as with xc races is always blistering but as Russ commented on the way home this is our training starting for the 2014/15 season :)

Next week sees the scottish championships will we see more ythanites back on the podium? Fingers crossed

Big thankyou to Kinross and sandy Wallace cycles for putting on such a great event .

Andy
Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Re: Kinross cc cx race at lochore

Postby Andy Scouller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Re: Kinross cc cx race at lochore

Postby Russ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Well done you younger ones, great weather again for this time of year.

Completely different course to Irvine and to an extent Knockburn, pan flat and no real chance to recover during a lap (although with my limited cx experience this definatley seems to the norm). The spiral/swiss roll was interesting with the shortest route not always the fastest round the tighter corners and if there is an advantage to getting lapped its the ability to try to latch on and follow their lines for abit. As with the xc, races begin to develop within the race so although I'm still back down the field its good to fighth it out with those around you.

onwards and upwards as they say
Russ
Maillot Jaune

Return to The Blue Final