Culloden Big Battle

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Culloden Big Battle

Postby Eenies » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 pm

The Culloden Cycle Challenge was run on Saturday 12th of October with 3 Ythanites taking on the 83.5 mile Big Battle. Registration was at Culloden Academy but the start was over 3 miles away with a really steep climb to get you warmed up. The weather was great although a wee bit chilly early on.

The route headed east on minor roads with some testing braes before crossing Dulsie Bridge over the River Findhorn and southwards towards the Cairngorms. We then followed the route of the Cairngorm Classic but in the opposite direction, past Lochindorb and south to the 1st feed at Grantown. Crossing the Spey we turned south west and went through Nethy Bridge and Boat of Garten before turning north for the long drag over the moor which topped out at 345 metres.

I ignored the 2nd feed at Ferness which was a mistake as they were serving hot teas and fine food. The route continued north to within a few miles of Nairn then we followed the river for the last dozen or so flat miles back to the start/finish, which strangely was on a gravel cycle path next to the main road. Once our timing chips were removed it was downhill back to the Academy to make the total distance for the day 90 miles and a very welcome plate of stovies/lasagne and tea/coffee was served in the Academy canteen.

Scott Young was in the front group until suffering hunger knock at about 70 miles, it was on the flat but there was nothing he could do as he lost the wheels and watched the leaders go up the road. He still finished a very respectable 5th in 4:18 about 7 minutes behind 1st placed Terry Christie of the Deveron Club.

I finished about 25th in 4:47 which was better than I expected but I was just glad to be finished as my legs were torqued. Jim Ingram finished in 5:13 and in the 1st half of the field. A decent showing by the Ythanites and a very enjoyable day out on the bike and one I look forward to doing next year.

Iain Masson
Eenies
Fisher Price Trike

Return to The Blue Final