Newbiggin Sprint Triathlon (Europo

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Newbiggin Sprint Triathlon (Europo

Postby Dave H » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:26 am

Newbiggin Sprint Triathlon (European Triathlon Championship Qualifying Event) Sun 1st September 2013

Team Horne travelled down to Newbiggin-by-the-Sea (20 miles north of Newcastle) on Friday 30 August, and set up camp in the glamorous Premier Inn at close-by Ashington. Some interesting facts: Billy Elliot (the famous ballet dancer) is from Ashington and Newbiggin-by-the-Sea boasts the longest promenade in Northumberland (yawn).

Saturday involved a recce around the bike course, a spot of sea swim practice, a fish finger sandwich and some football skills on the beach with James (my wee boy).

The race on Sunday swim would be a 750m sea swim with a running start from the beach, then a 23km bike around a flat and fast course also taking in the A1086 dual carriage-way, finishing with a 5km run along the infamous promenade.

The highlight of the day was a face plant into the beach when practicing some run starts into the sea. It seemed like the whole town stopped to point and laugh at me. Total embarrassment.

Pre-race tea involved a T-bone steak and an Ice Cream Strawberry Sundae.

Race Day
Because of the sheer numbers 500 plus people, the race was split into 4 waves (my wave was #2). And there were so many grey heads (vets), 80 in fact, that we had our own wave. Shortly before the off, the organisers announced the water temperature was 16 degree C, it definitely felt colder than this. The hooter went off and we ran down the beach and dived into the sea (no face plant this time). The swim was uncomfortable, probably the most uncomfortable I’ve felt. With little room to manoeuvre I was regularly kicked or hit and I swallowed quite a bit of water. As the swim went on it calmed down and I eventually exited the sea in approx. 10th and ran along the beach to transition. I was bit surprised to be so far up in the field with guys around me who I’ve never beaten before. Onto the bike and I quickly overtook a few people and was feeling fast. The bike course started in the town centre and made its way up towards Woodhorn and Ashington, down the dual carriageway to Newcastle and a left turn back into Newbiggin. In the town centre it was fairly tight resulting in a few squeaky bum moments as I came close to barriers and other cyclists. I completed 3 laps of the 23km course in 35:46mins (in top ten fastest cycle times). Onto the run, as usual my legs were heavy for the first 1km but they slowly came back to life. And by the final 5km I was flying down the promenade (in 19 mins). A little slow but the course seemed to be over distance by 0.2km according to my Garmin. I had totally smoked it.

After a little wait and a poke of chips, I was surprised to learn that I had finished 2nd in the Vets (40-49) and therefore had secured automatic selection for the GBR age group team at the 2014 European Triathlon Champs in Kitzbuhel.

I better get some hill training in.
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Newbiggin Sprint Triathlon (Europo

Postby Dave H » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:27 am

Should read European Qualifier, something strange happened...
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Newbiggin Sprint Triathlon (Europo

Postby dave mac » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Great result Dave well done - head down for next year now :-).
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Return to The Blue Final