Team Swift Charity 10 Hull 25/08/13

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Team Swift Charity 10 Hull 25/08/13

Postby Andy D » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 am

Team Swift hosted a massive field 10 mile TT in Hull on 25/08/13 in aid of the McMillan Cancer charity. 300+ riders took to the fast course, divided into 3 separate races. I was off at 105, seeded in the 'slower than 22 minutes' race as I boasted a pb of 22.08, gained on the same course.

It was windy but warm and dry and the sheltered nature of the course should mean a reasonable time was still possible. The locals all looked a bit gloomy, saying it was a slow day. I probably overdid it to the flyover turn at 4.75 miles getting there in 10 minutes dead, that was into the supposed cross-head wind. Suffered for it coming back on the more exposed and what feels like a more undulating home leg before finding my legs again in the latter stages to finish with 22.21 which was pretty decent and good enough for about 14th overall in a field of 120+. Some in my race were borderline sub 20 which was some going in the less than favourable conditions.

Fiona was riding in a field of about 90 riders of youths, juniors, women and 'overspill' from the fast race and my slow riders race. She is a minor celeb at Hull after taking the British record on the tandem with Lora Turnham earlier in the year, so some were bemused to see her on a solo bike, sans stoker. She was asked by the hudder upper what time she expected and when she said about a '21', he said, 'what, today?' as if it were an impossibility such were the conditions.

Fiona looked strong if a bit wobbly as she battled the wind on the home leg as I glimpsed her near the end. She said she was suffering 'tandem wobbles' which you get from coming off he stable heavy tandem onto the light, responsive solo. True to her word though as she finished with 21.57, which was good enough for 1st lady in a decent field and was only beaten by one or two top notch male juniors in her field. Also pretty impressive as Fiona has been doing a block of Track Sprint type training with short sharp efforts in recent weeks and hadn't ridden a TT in nearly 2 months!

These are great events in Hull, very friendly despite the massive numbers and a real treat to ride on a flat course for me, which is what I like.

Brendan McCabe was down from Aberdeen Wheelers and Iain McLeod from Denny Road club, so a wee Scottish contingent formed for a bit. Don't know what times they did. Michael Hutchinson won with an 18!! Awesome.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Return to The Blue Final