Westhill Sprint Triathlon (Aberdeenshire Triathlon Series, 2

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Westhill Sprint Triathlon (Aberdeenshire Triathlon Series, 2

Postby Dave H » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am

Westhill Sprint Triathlon (Aberdeenshire Triathlon Series, 2013)

71 Triathletes took part in the latest of the Aberdeenshire Triathlon Series Event at Westhill on Sunday 11 August, with good representation from the local clubs and also from Moray Firth Tri Club, Monifieth Tri Club, Stirling Tri Club and Orkney.

The weather was mainly good, except towards the end of the day, when the heavens opened for 10 mins, enough to drench those out on the course, one of those being me on the bike at the time :( .

The event started at Westhill Swimming Pool, where the bikes were also racked in the transition zone behind the pool. The race involved a swim of 800m (30 lengths) of the 25m pool, followed by a 21km, 2 lap cycle and a 5km, 2 lap run. The bike course took a right turn from the pool and followed the hill out of Westhill towards the Auchronnie cross-road (to Blackburn), a left turn here and an undulating meander back through to Skene and onto Westhill. Some parts of the route were fairly technical with long downhills, punctuated by sharp turns that seemed to have loads of grit and gravel on the road surface. The infamous farm dog that has chased the cyclists the past couple of years was absent. Perhaps the swift kick he got from me last time taught him a lesson, haha. After the cycle, and back into transition for the second time, the 5km run took the triathletes up Hays Road and back along the Old Skene Road into Westhill.

The Race
My swim didn’t go great. I seem to have lost a bit of speed since not training for 3 weeks because of a bad cold. In the end I completed the swim in a poor 12:21mins (I’m usually about a minute quicker) :( . Following the swim, I ran through transition, collected my bike and exited T1 in 11th position. I knew I had to put in a big effort to catch the leaders. The Westhill course is fairly hilly and suits me and I soon started picking off the riders. By the end of the bike section I had moved up to 3rd position, completing the cycle in 35:18mins (fastest of the day) :) . Onto the run, my legs were feeling heavy from the lactic from the ride, but after 1km they came back to life. I increased my cadence and moved into 2nd position during the 1st lap. I spotted my wife and she shouted to me that that I was 1:30min behind the leader (and to pull my finger out, or words to that effect :roll: ). By the end of the 1st lap the gap was 1min, I pushed on and by the end of the 2nd lap I saw the leader about 200m ahead of me. I put a sprint in, but unfortunately couldn’t catch him. I think the sight of this grey haired loon chasing him had put the frighteners on him. My run time was 16:17mins (fastest of the day) and my finishing time: 01:05:25 (2nd overall and 1st in my age category) :D . If I’d managed to do my normal swim, then perhaps I could have won. Nevermind, the winner was probably about 20 years younger than me. I’ll get him next time 8-) . It goes to prove that we 40-somethings can still mix it with the young-guns. Not a bad day out.
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Westhill Sprint Triathlon (Aberdeenshire Triathlon Series, 2

Postby Colin A » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Great report Dave, Hard luck with the swim. your reports almost make me want to get out my jimies (sp) and speedos. almost .... ;)
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Westhill Sprint Triathlon (Aberdeenshire Triathlon Series, 2

Postby dave mac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Great effort Dave well done - you're clearly back to full strength
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Return to The Blue Final