Hercules Standard Triathlon 2013, Welwyn Garden City

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Hercules Standard Triathlon 2013, Welwyn Garden City

Postby Dave H » Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Race start time was 7:00am, so I set my alarm to go off at 4:50am to give me enough time to eat some breakfast, drive to the race venue, register, rack my bike, get my wetsuit on in time for the race briefing at 6:30. After race briefing we were allowed to enter the lake for 10 mins to get used to the water temperature of 11.7 degrees C. Because of the low water temperatures, the British Triathlon Federation race official decided to shorten the swim distance from 1500m to 750m. I couldn't see what the fuss was about after swimming two weeks before in 10.2 degrees C at Ardgarten. Maybe these English triathletes are a bit soft :D

It was a mass start with120 compititors entered in the standard distance race (1500m (750m) swim; 40km bike & 10km run). The starting horn went off and after a couple of kicks to the face and then a flying hand in my mouth I got into a good rhythm and I moved to front of the pack. My swim went relatively well and I was surprised to exit the water in 5th position.

Onto the bike, which I was looking forward to the most as it was a relatively flat coures with 4 short climbs, different to the usual types of bike courses in Scotland. I felt I was going fairly well as I past 3 or 4 cylists early on. I couldn't work out my position during the ride, but I thought I could have been in the top 3, but heading back into transition I spotted my wife where she told me I was in first position. I couldn't belive it :) . I was feeling quite strong and had a 2-3 minute lead on second position. I finished the bike section in 01:06:00 mins over 3 mins quicker than last years fatsest bike time and over 2 mins quicker than this years next fastest cyclist.

The run course was mainly on undulating grass around Stanborough Park. I quickly got into my stride and felt I was going well and eventually got around in around 37 mins. It was a great feeling crossing the line in first position, I've had a couple of seconds, but never a first place before.

Prize giving was interesting, the local MP (Grant Shapps) was wheeled out to present a trophy made of plastic silver and the local rag photographers were also there to get their photos.

It was a good day out, the sun shone and the beers tasted great afterwards.

A big thanks to Graham Ward for fixing my gears (internal cabling :( ) on my TT bike the week before this race.

My next race is the European Triathlon (Standard) Championships in Alanya, Turkey on 14th June.
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Hercules Standard Triathlon 2013, Welwyn Garden City

Postby Colin A » Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Wow well done. Fantastic result, all hat training is certainly paying off
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Wed May 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Dave that's a tremendous result and very well deserved - looking forward to your next race report :D
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby megamouth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Superb Dave, well done mate.
megamouth
Maillot Vert

Return to The Blue Final