Ardgarten Triathlon Festival 2013

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Ardgarten Triathlon Festival 2013

Postby Dave H » Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 pm

This was the first year for the Ardgarten Triathlon Festival, with Sprint and Standard distances on Saturday 11th and full Iron Man and half Iron Man on Sunday 12th May. Your probably wondering where Ardgarten is, well its located at the top of Loch Long on the opposite side of the loch to the village of Arrochar. Its a stunning area, with fantastic scenery and seems to rain all the time. I opted to do the Standard distance (1500m swim, 40km cycle and 10km run) as preparation for my race in Turkey next month. The other reason to do this race was that it included a sea swim, which would be good practice for Turkey (also a sea swim).

The cycle involved an extremely hilly ride starting at the Ardgarten Hotel up over the the Rest and Be Thankful, down the others side and onto the Loch Fyne Restaurant, where we would turn and cycle back to the hotel at Ardgarten (over the RBT again). The run route followed the Cowal Pennisula Forest Track on an out and back course, finishing at the Ardgarten Hotel.

The wife and I went down the week before and had a good look around the courses. A couple of things worried me slightly: (1) the RBT road was being re-surfaced for approx. 500m and (2) the sea water temperature was around 11 degree C.

Race day came and the organisers announced the water temp was 10.2 degree C but they still planned to do the race over the full 1500m distance. There were a few nervous people, not sure weather to compete and few decided not to race (a bit controversial especially as the ITU rules say that swim should either be cancelled or shortened if the water temp is below 11 degree C). Anyway, with my wet suit on plus two swim hats and my wife calling me a wuss to somehow encourage me to get on with it, the race went ahead. It was flippin baltic and I quickly lost any feeling in my face, hands and feet, but the red mist had come down so there was no stopping me. One poor guy had to be rescued half way round the swim and an ambulance was called and he was treated for hypothermia. I came out of the swim in 5th place feeling afa cold and after passing through transition I managed to pick off 3 competitors on the first hill. By the end of the cycle I found myself in 1st place and lead the race going into the run. I'm not sure if it was the cold or if the cycle had done my legs in, but my legs didn't turn up and after a wee tussle with the eventual winner, I slipped back into second place. It was a pity not to win, but I was good to get a podium place, especially as the conditions were not great.

My next race will be the Hercules Triathlon (Standard Distance) in Welwyn Garden City in two weeks time, another open water swim, hopefully the weather will be kinder.

Dave
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Ardgarten Triathlon Festival 2013

Postby dave mac » Sun May 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Dave that's a great result - well done not only on your finishing position but braving the water temp.
On the plus side, I am sure Turkey will be a little warmer
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Sun May 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Flipping heck that's hard core stuff.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Dave H » Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Two days since the race and my body is still wrecked. I can hardly walk down stairs. Plus I've been vomiting all night. I think I must have swallowed a couple of sheep droppings :lol:
Dave H
Grifter

Return to The Blue Final