Deeside Duathlon 2013

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Deeside Duathlon 2013

Postby dave mac » Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 pm

This year was the 30th anniversary of the event, a duathlon starting in sunny Braemar with the finish line in Aberdeen. The choice is either to bike - run - bike or canoe the last section from Durrus Bridge, cycling the last section seemed like the safer option!

Brenda (my very enthusiastic support crew ;) ) and myself met up with Alan & Debbie, Jason & Yvonne at the registration in Braemar, along with the rest of the entrants around 55 on the start sheet. The car park was in the shade, windy and cold so just what to wear was a bit of an issue. It was warm in the sun and the expectation was for a tail wind (then again isn’t it always!), at least this kept us occupied for a while. Jason was the first of us to set off at 10:43, followed by Alan 10:50 & myself at 11:02.

Heading out of Braemar the expected tail wind was nothing like a tail wind, I seemed to get battered from all sides, thankfully this only lasted until the first bend where the wind certainly supported progress towards the first transition. That really set the scene for the day, other than the occasional attention grabbing gust the wind supported progress to the finish line :D

First cycle leg went well, the only slight issue was climbing the last few miles up the hill to transition one, bit of a gear slipping issue which meant grinding a bigger gear up the hill, nae really what you need before the 11 mile run. Transition went well, Brenda grabbed the bike, I changed quickly and set off a little apprehensively on the run, only made a couple of miles last year before the achilies gave up. The run route's very scenic along the banks of the river, just a few miles in I was met by a Greyhound bounding towards me followed closely by what I took to be its owner in a car. The dog perhaps overly excited at seeing someone actual exercising jumped at me, I brushed it off and displayed my feelings to the chap in the car - what was that all about!! :roll:

I just took the run at a steady almost pedestrian pace, can't afford any injuries now with only 9 weeks to the Celtman and completing this run would take the total running mileage for the wk to just over 30 miles.

As we were well space out at the start, I didn't expect to see Alan until the finish. You can imagine my surprise when nearing transition 2 I heard a shout from the bank to my left, looked round to see Mr. Yateman “trotting” towards the road. “Fits happened min?” Well unfortunately the big man had a bit o a problem wee his guts; think we should leave it at that !! We ran together to T2, which I did find a wee bit difficult; well it's hard to run when you’re laughing :lol: :lol:

The last section flew by, great to get back on the bike and enjoyed the blast down to Aberdeen.

Results on the day - I was 26th - Jason finished 27th with Alan (if only I didn't have to stop in the woods) 33rd, all of us well under 4 hrs on a record breaking day.

The organiser's Fleet Feet Triathlon Club did a great job from start to finish – A great day out and look forward to next years event.
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Re: Deeside Duathlon 2013

Postby Dave H » Thu May 09, 2013 6:12 am

Great effort Dave. I'd like to try this race one day.
Dave H
Grifter

Postby Andy D » Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 am

It is a really good event and I think I might give it another go next year, nice to have something to train for.

Well done to all who raced and helped out, mibbee see you next year?!?
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Thu May 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Dave – you would love it

Andy – the course has changed a bit since you did it, or certainly since the year I acted as your support crew. The run is now all off road following the river with some great views and more importantly a lot safer than running on the road.

Can still remember Fiona running towards Banchory and thinking I’d never be able to do that !

That’s the second year I’ve entered (just happy to finish this year!) and the weather has always been excellent.

Perhaps we could see some individual and team efforts from Ythan next year
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Thu May 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Yes, I agree, if some of us (me) can't run then we should cobble together teams to do legs of the event, although kudos has to go with those who do the whole thing as an indivdiual.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 pm

2007 Results. What a great day that was, Dave Mac support crew - now Triathlon Legend!!

Name............................Total Time Duathlon (some of these are relay teams)

Scott Neyedli................ 2.38.35
Carlos Martin................ 2.47.47
Andy Duncan............... 2.50.14
James Hand................. 2.52.12
Jake Vellacott ............ 2.54.11
Iain Cruickshank........... 2.55.14
Keith Varney ............ 2.55.17
Kenneth Bryson ............ 2.57.20
Timothy May ............ 3.00.00
Derek George .............3.01.41
Dave Whitcombe............ 3.01.46
Margaret Anderson ............ 3.05.25
Neil McPherson ............ 3.06.52
Andy Redman ............ 3.11.42
Laura Sinclair ............ 3.12.43
Bert McIntosh ............ 3.14.02
Steven Barrett................ 3.14.10
Fiona Duncan ............ 3.14.25
Richard Colliar ............ 3.22.30
Colin Larmour ............ 3.23.25
Alan Yeatman ...........3.24.38
David McCarry ........... 3.26.11
Ewan Murray ............ 3.29.55
Blair McKay ............ 3.36.34
David Bird .......... 3.45.24

Triathlon (Kayak)
Shaun Thrower................4.27.39
Ian Wilson .............4.37.15
Alan Strachan ........... 4.52.51
Alison Deykin ............ 5.39.00
Greg Manning ............ 5.58.54
Grahame Smith ............ 6.01.54
Philip Rhind ............ 6.13.09
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 am

That was a good day out - think there was a bit of a tail wind that day as well. The course has changed a fair bit since then with less time spent on the main road, more twists and turns and a climb to the first transition.

The run section is longer and all off road along the banks of the Dee, great route and a lot safer than running into traffic along the main road.

With the team entry as an option it really opens it up to anyone to have a go, or of course there is a year to get yourself a pair o trainers ;)
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 am

Have been worried about breaking down with injury sonce my attempts to train at running for the Methlick Duathlon November past, am keen to start back having a go again but need to time it right so I don't scupper any decent work I have done for the cycling.

Wouldn't want to miss too much bike racing in the summer due to injured, wonky calves!
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby ali » Fri May 10, 2013 10:11 am

I see it was the same winner this year as in 2007, nice one scott :-) Leggart and springfield road regular :-)
ali
Grifter

Return to The Blue Final