ThunderDrome

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

ThunderDrome

Postby The Loneys » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 pm

The First race of the weekend was the Madison.
The youths had to race with the Juniors as there were only 6 entrants for the youth race. This meant we would have to race 20 km instead of the original 15 km we would race 80 laps and there would be four sprints. I was riding with another youth from Perth United CC, Fraser Martin. You'll be glad to know we rode in Ythan colours ;)
As it was part of the ThunderDrome we were told to try and stay as a bunch for the first 40 laps to try and make more of a show for the crowd, but at the same time they told us to stay at race pace.
So as you can imagine within 10 laps people were already starting to get edgey about the sprint and small attacks were beginning to appear. With 3 laps to go to the first sprint the pace really picked up with people trying to get away but no one was able. I was quite far back so had to come round a few people. Tom Arnstein was leading the sprint with Gavin Shuttleworth on his wheel I was trying to come round him but just wasn't able to do it. Usually in a sprint I'm much faster than Gavin but he was drafting Tom.
I had my head down sprinting and forgot to watch for Fraser, we missed the change, I was going to get third but Tom changed with Kyle Petrie with 30m to go to the line Gavin got himself trapped beneath their change, I got past and ended up second.
For some reason even though we were to bunch up after the first two sprints Kyle Petrie decide to attack so it was up to me to chase it down. I got back on his wheel then changed with Fraser.
After we had bunched up Fraser decided to give a little attack as he was fresh and hadn't had to sprint. When I was thrown in I kept pushing on a bit meaning I could still recover from the sprint, this meant that everyone else had to keep going hard to catch up with me. We kept on doing this every time Fraser was thrown in.
In the next sprint our change was too early which meant I had to be in for four laps I went early in the sprint getting a bit of a gap but Tom Arnstein chased me down and passed with a 1/4 lap to go to with two others on his wheel I managed to hold on to fourth.
Almost instantly I changed with Fraser and Tom changed with Kyle. Again Kyle decided to attack after the change but Fraser soon caught him. We carried on doing what we had been doing before which was beginning to wear everyone out. For the 3rd sprint I got thrown in with a lap and a half to go into fourth place. I accelerated out of the change overtaking Struan McInnes to take 3rd place. The pace then settled down for about 5 laps as everyone wanted to recover for the final sprint.
Then Gavin decided to attack. but it was brought back with ease. Almost straight after, Fraser attacked and got a small gap but it was brought back. With 6 laps to go I decided to attack I got a huge gap of about a quarter of a lap. Then Tom Arnstein came to the front to try and bring me back. He got to about 20m but then I changed with Fraser with 2 & 1/2 laps to go. Tom was dying so Fraser got the gap back. I wasn't sure if he could stay away at full sprint pace for that long so I went as slow as physically possible round the top of the track. The peloton had all done there final changes so fresh legs were now bearing down on Fraser. They might have caught him but we did a flawless change and with 1/2 a lap I put in one final effort and powered to the line and won by at least 30-40m and even had enough time to sit up before the line. Now we just had to wait for the points to be worked out, it would be very close.
It turned out it was joint first on points with me and Fraser, and Tom and Kyle. But as we won the final sprint we won overall. :D

Saturday was a big day. We were told on Wednesday that we had been chosen to ride the first lap of the ThunderDrome team sprint for one of the guest rider teams. We were all very excited. We didn't know which team we were going to get. It turned out to it was a lucky dip as to who we got. I got Team Europe!! The rest is history. I got interviewed on the start line with it all being played out on the big screen. I was very nervous. My lap wasn't that quick but the experience was amazing. I think that I did the Ythan shirt proud. Great that there were Ythanites in the crowd. I heard every one of you!! Not really, I was too concerned that team Europe could keep up with me!!!

Sunday was the Braveheart Youth Omnium. Three races, the Keirin, the 1k TT and an Eliminator. By this point of the weekend my legs were starting to feel the strain. The first race was the Keirin, I rode tactically wrong and only got a third. There were a few fresh legs out there as they hadn't done any racing and I under estimated them.
Race two was the TT. I did my best and came second. The guys who had been racing all weekend plus the Wednesday night track league were starting to feel tired in the legs.
This meant the last race would be the decider. I was leading with 5 points Jack Carling was on 6 points with Ben Forsyth and Rhys Donnelly both on 7 points. If any of the top four won, it would clinch the title.
The race was on. My tactic was to drive it hard from the word go and hope I could break what was left in any of the other boys legs. With 10 riders and only one elimination every two laps plus neutral laps, this was going to be 20 laps minimum on full gas including sprints!! Ouch!! I just rode from the front, took most of the air and rode hard, slowly but surely the riders dwindled away, my tactic was working. When it came to the last three riders it was still up for grabs, with me Jack and Ben still in. Jack was first to crack, this meant I couldn't lose!!! I had Ben left to beat, with my last ounces of energy I drove hard and got away, with legs screaming I'd won!!!

It turned out by winning the Omnium, I had accrued enough points in the Braveheart Omnium Series to win the title for that, so another gold podium!!! What a bonus, because I didn't even know there was an Omnium Series.

I'm not getting on my bike at all this week. A very tired Zak. :D
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Re: ThunderDrome

Postby dave mac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Well done Zak a great result - certainly a weekend you'll never forget
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Superb. And a great write up. Well done
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Chris C » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 am

Well done Zak, it was great to watch and has inspired at least two QLs!
Last edited by Chris C on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris C
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Just saw Zak on the telly leading out the European team.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 pm

So did we. I think I cheered as loud at the telly as we were doing on the day! Had great fun playing spot the person you know :lol: :lol:

Ythan kit did look good though - definitely made for TV........cheers to Andy for that design! ;)
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Fit aboot me ? Did ye see me ? ;)
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

What a brilliant season for Ythan QL, Ythan riders in various disciplines and at the top levels in our sport in the various categories.

Quite a few medals and jerseys for 'Show and Tell' at the Club Presentation evening, when it comes. Don't be shy, bring them along on the night.

Well done to Zak 'the track' Loney and everyone else racing in Ythan colours or that of their Country/Region in 2012.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby The Loneys » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Can honestly say the club members have certainly done their bit to celebrate Ythan's 25th Anniversary! :D
Who'd have thought it would have been such a great year for the Club :D
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Return to The Blue Final