Ican Middle Distance Triathlon

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Ican Middle Distance Triathlon

Postby dave mac » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Six of us headed over to Majorca Graham and Wendy Parley, Alan and Debbie Yeatman, Brenda and myself arriving a few days before the event. That gave us plenty time to acclimatise to the surroundings, with a few training runs before the event.

For me the race was simple, swim and cycle hard then just try and survive the run as recurring injuries had prevented run training. Alan's strength was more running rather than swimming so if the event played out, as it should have it could make for an exciting finish. The target was to get a 5 our time, no matter if it was 5:59.

The Majorca Tri was Alan's idea as he had seen it run when he was on holiday the previous year, nice flat fast course, which was true until they moved the venue from Palma to Paguera. Nice place but a bit on the hilly side, they also made some last min changes to the cycle course which included dead turns and a number of climbs, one at a 17% gradient! :shock:

There were around 500 entries to the 3 events running, the full, middle and short distance, all events kicking off at the same time from the beach. The sea was certainly warm so it was unlikely wetsuits would be allowed, unless of course the sea was a little choppy, Alan wizna happy he just spent a fortune on a shiny new one.

The morning of the race came, still dark and raining we headed from the hotel just across the road to the transition area. Announcements were generally made in Spanish and German however, it was clear by the noise of the sea and that half the competitors were pulling on wetsuits, we could be in for an interesting swim. Along with our support crew, we made our way to the beach and had our first glimpse of the sea. They had a large rib boat out near the first buoy, the sea was so rough it constantly disappeared; they deferred the start for 30 min's eventually canceling the swim, which was very disappointing but absolutely the right decision.

From that point on they seemed to be a little disorganised, it took a bit of time for them to announce what would happen next, they were replacing the swim with a 10k run! Alan was happy – I was not. Due to the amount of running now involved, approx 30% of the field didn't start and the full distance was cancelled. For me the game plan had changed, time was not now important, as running close to 20 miles was never on the agenda. :cry:

The first run went ok but it was just short of 7 miles with no timing mat at the start, not good as Alan and myself started at the back. We did pass a few folk and Alan showing his superior running ability strolled away from me towards the end of the run. Transition was a challenge with both a run and cycle bag to juggle before heading out on the bike.

The cycle leg was a two-loop course with some brutal climbs, one positive thing about starting at the back, there were plenty of people to catch and pass. I stuck to the plan during the cycle section staying hydrated and eating at regular intervals. Really enjoyed the cycle section but Alan had a few problems with cramp, having to stretch out a few times hampered his progress.

I did have one slight problem when descending a hill, a cat crossing the road decided to stop and play a game o’ chicken, I moved out to the left it did the same, moved to the right again it did the same, shouted at it but much to the amusement of the local Police the bloody cat wouldn't move. :evil: Had to break right at the bottom of the hill, of course the cat moved before I got to it.

Back into town and transition, passed the rather loud line of support crew, back on with the trainers for the three-lap run, again a wee bit hilly. I felt fine but the legs would have been in allsorts of trouble had I tried to push it so decided not to, no point, didn't enter a dualathlon.

Our hotel was on the run route so popped in there for a toilet stop, much better than the row of sun drenched port-a-loos. Spent some time chatting to a Spanish competitor who had entered the long distance, he was walking and did point out that he's never seen so many competitors walking in an event. Not sure if he was just trying to make himself feel better but it certainly made me feel a bit better.

Alan had hut transition and was well on his way through the run, think we met on the second lap, stopped for a bit o a chat then went our separate ways. He was struggling a bit with blisters, which grew worse as time went on, nae good.

Eventually we made both made it to the line, picked up the medal, tee shirt and crossed the road to our hotel bar :D

Clearly the popularity of cycling in the UK is on the increase but in Europe it’s at a different level. The enthusiasm for the sport is tremendous and this was evident when we went for our evening meal at our hotel the whole restaurant applauded us, a wee bit embarrassing but much appreciated. :oops:

Its fair to say the cancellation of the swim and the addition of a long run took the shine off the race, even so it was great cycling on closed roads and especially in Majorca.

We all really enjoyed our week in the Sun (in between the rain showers)

Now all that has to be done is decide on 2013
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Re: Ican Middle Distance Triathlon

Postby The Loneys » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Well done Dave. Great report as usual!
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Postby Dave H » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 am

Well done Dave, sorry to hear the race was changed to a duathlon. But it still sounds like you had a good week.

I look forward to hearing what you have planned for next season.
Dave H
Grifter

Postby dave mac » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm

We had a great week Dave, really enjoyed the holiday.

Next year? Well that’s been two years I’ve entered events in Europe hoping for great weather, which just hasn’t worked out.

Although I really enjoyed the experience, perhaps time to stay in Scotland and race in the weather we’re used to.
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Great effort men. (and women...behind every great man......)

I think you have answered your own question Dave, you liked the cycling, didn't like the running...this is a cycling forum....do the maths!!
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Well Mr D it's not that I don't like running, its more running doesn't like me !

Anyway, isn't it about time you get your trainers on for next months Methlick event ? :D
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I have been trying to get a bit of running in but keep breaking down with achilles/calf problems.

I may not be able to defend my title of 'King of the Carthorses' in 2012 :(
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:24 pm

2013's event

Entered the Celtman Extreme Scottish Triathlon today,now waiting for confirmation of a place.

3.8K Swim, 202K Bike, 42K run over two Munros around Torridon,

It’s going to be a big day oot :D
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby The Loneys » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:59 pm

It is certainly going to be a long day oot! Good luck for it - not that you'll need it Dave!
Claire
The Loneys
Maillot Jaune

Return to The Blue Final