Weekend Round Up Spring Bunny/Sheriffston 10

All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Weekend Round Up Spring Bunny/Sheriffston 10

Postby Andy D » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Various members of Team (SK)Y-than hit the roads of Aberdeenshire and somewhere near Elgin for a weekend’s TT racing on Saturday and Sunday 17 and 18 April 2010.

Bill Dallas was absent from the team roster following a recent bike ride round Loch Leven and a night out at a Kid Creole and the Coconuts concert.

No matter though as the fast division of Ythanites was ably represented by the Flying Dutchman, Stevie Blom. As he rolled up to the start of the Spring Bunny 25 on Saturday he was rolling back the years on his ‘Old School’ rig of ‘Tally message bike, 5 speed rear block, bar mount bottle cage and uncovered shoes and non-pointy hat. It was a vintage performance from the latest overseas signing to the Sky Blues, marred by him wearing non-team issue socks – he must have received them via some motorbike or van delivery service based in the Central Belt – weird! Stevie pummelled the head wind on his upright safety bicycle to record 1.02.06.

In contrast Steve Argo employed every aero aid to performance available, including being so aerodynamic as to not actually appear on the start sheet at all. He failed dismally to catch his chubby 2 - minute man and had to ride underneath a lorry like Frank Spencer on roller skates at one point but recorded a reasonable 1.03.11.

Andy and Fiona Duncan were off at the back of the field and both were subject to backdrafts from Phil Kelman and Jonathan Copp respectively, as they swept past. Fiona rode so slowly that she nearly took a wrong turn on the newly completed Western Peripheral Route. Fiona finished with 1.07.00 and was deservedly beaten by a couple of the ‘Deeside Thistle Ladies Racing Team’. Andy came home in 1.04.31, which wasn’t an awful lot better!

Colin Allanach is such an avid Dons Fan that he was determined to replicate their bottom six finish on Saturday. Like his heroes he may have just about avoided relegation to the lower echelons of sport for another season, so we won’t have to attend the Fetterangus Welly Wanging Championships for another year if you want to see Colin in action, he tootled round in 1.09.21.

Jon Copp took the win with his 57.18 but Phil Kelman ran him close with 57.29. Charlie Wilson from Discovery Juniors put in a good ride with his 1.06.56 to win the youth category and Shelley Farrar was first woman with a strong ride to record 1.05.26.

Sunday dawned with snow drifts in Huntly and legs feeling like they had drifted as well. Tsunami, Locusts and lack of enthusiasm threatened to derail the Ythan squad’s tilt at the Sheriffston 10 this year but they came good when it mattered.

Colin Duncan was ‘juiced up’ on gripe water and Farley’s Rusks, fortunately these are not on the UCI banned list so he got away with his ballistic 22.54, to finish in the top 5 behind some top class testers, despite his new training regime of no cycling and no sleeping.

Steve Argo was true to form by not submitting an entry form and finished in 24.08.

Dave McIntosh has made no major financial outlays on his equipment or training regime for this season, sticking to his tried and tested formula of Scotch Eggs for power, weight training for core strength and beating Allanach for a laugh!! Titter ye not this time though as Colin stayed home to practice his wanging (just in case) and Dave powered home with 26.24.

Andy and Fiona Duncan plodded round in 24.49 and 25.02 respectively, Andy regretting not riding fixed wheel, where at least he could have tried to use that as an excuse for being slow. Fiona was psychologically beaten before she started as she couldn’t compete with Ziggy Humphrey’s and Jenni Nicholson’s comprehensive compression clothing wardrobes which apparently feature compression contact lenses and tongue straps?!?

Carol Middleton popped up with a respectable 27.51, I didn’t see what she was wearing but given the temperature I am guessing it was a designer mink lined skin suit and Gucci sheepskin shoe covers, she will have recovered well though as like any fashion conscious cyclist these days she will have donned her compression earmuffs as soon as she finished.

John Hunter was on the right bike but the wrong course this time around and managed to puncture prior to the start, although it was his knee rather than his tyre, which ended up leaking. I think he was saving himself for the National 10 in a week’s time where he will surely go faster than his 28.05.

Liam Monaghan hasn’t quite got the stroppy teenager routine down yet but he has only had one day to practice, so far. The stroppy bit nearly appeared when he thought he had got a PB but was told otherwise when the times were read out, but like every other true sportsman in the Ythan colours he took it in good humour and accepted his 33.35 – unlike his dad who spoke of retirement and trotted out the old ‘I was at an all you can eat Chinese Buffet last night’ explanation from the stock Andy Duncan excuse bank, when he got his time read out!

Not since the extinction of the dinosaurs has there been such disruption to the activities of the big powerful mashers in the north by volcanic eruption. Peter Ettles had to unpack his flip flops and sombrero as the flights to Mallorca were cancelled, Paul Black has been sleeping in an oxygen tent and Carlos and Christine had to abort their planned trip to the mainland, although rumours of them doing a two-up pedallo voyage to Wick to ensure a race entry are unconfirmed.

Peter Ettles put his disappointment at being grounded behind him as he romped to victory with his 21.45, pipping Peter Alexander who came home with 22.38.

Mari Todd was first lady with a strong 23.35 and Charles Fletcher first youth/junior or woman(!!??!) on handicap with his 25.34.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Re: Weekend Round Up Spring Bunny/Sheriffston 10

Postby Colin A » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:42 am

Tootling round was just about right. I took 42 minutes to get to the turn and only 27ish to get back. No excuses needed, just not enough grunt against that wind. Shoulders are sore this morning from hanging on to the front wheel.

Data has been analaysed, cross checked, sent off to CERN and the reports written. Executive summary says - I am just a slow bugger. Now what can I buy to cheer myself up 8-)
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:50 am

a small bottom bracket mounted engine?

Ive been searching for one for weeks

Good report Andy, Im all patched up now and mummy has kissed my sore knee better :roll:
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am

Phew, it's all ok. I worked out the delta between everyone's PB time and the time they did on Saturday. The average was minus 2 mins 33 secs. As my delta was only minus 2 mins 11 seconds I think that's a net improvement.

Hooray :D
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 am

Does that mean you won?
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:12 am

in my tiny wee world it does
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Return to The Blue Final