All race reports and results featuring Ythan Members

Levens ten

Postby John Hunter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Quick results

Bill -21:05
Carlos Riise 19:46
Christine 22:25
jh 24:27 :)
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Re: Levens ten

Postby malcolm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Well done guys, thats your chances of winning a handicap prize oot the window for a few years!!
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Yes, all sorts of handicap chances gone now...

What a cracking day it was, 15deg c or more, sun was out, a wee bit of a breeze but not much.

I rocked up early (as usual!) and got as nice spot next to Bill. Saw Chrstine from Shetland just before she headed off. Chatted to Bill for a bit and waited about for him to finish, he did seemed pleased with his 21:05, but oh the 6 secs.... maybe next time Bill? a cracking ride and not many people went much faster, the winning time was 19:27. A young lad may have broken some record with a 19:40 ish, not sure.

Oddly I was among the last few to set off, some bloke in front of me with full Team GB suit, bike and helemt on, so I dont know who he was, but he was off and away sharpish. Time came, I set off not to fast, keen not to over cook it early on. got a good tempo and past the family who had come to watch after 2 miles, setting a steady rhythm around the 26mpe average, kept up this till the roundabout and spun round ready for the slight uphill finish, Bill promised me a tailwind and it was just about there so charged back to the finish and averaged justy under 24.9 for the whole thing to clock 24:27, at one point I was thinking I may get a 23, but that was gready. Id set my self to get a low 25 for the day, Im still not feeling on form yet, 2-3 more weeks to go. But Im realluy happy with it, I was 100% spent at the end, measured my effort perfectly! I had to lie in the grass for a bit before riding to the sign on.

A really good event, quick times back using a mobile and a white board. No hall, tea or cakes, but still a cracking day with over 150 riders.

Roll on next time and a sub 23....

Bill theres a 19 in those legs of yours.....

Back to Scotland next weekend for a much slower ten..... Ive found that its no harder going faster, it just doesnt take as long.
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Well done both.

People seem to score fast times on this course but, it makes me wonder how it is that so many people seem to fly on it - it can't be downhill in both directions!!

Proves how fast you CAN go if nothing else and hopefully should give you confidence to push on up to these times on local courses.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Its a bit like Freuchie, downhill start that you dont come back up . The roundabout turn can be taken at full speed.

The road isnt pan, flat, but no major rises. I think the faster times come from the smooth road and lack of wind.

Its worth a go and see for yourself.
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Return to The Blue Final