Pluscarden ten

Away from Aberdeen, or 'abroad' if you come from Tarves

Pluscarden ten

Postby John Hunter » Tue May 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Looks like me and Dave Mc are in the start sheet for sat

so, whats the course like? Lumpy i expect??
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Re: Pluscarden ten

Postby Col » Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm

No, more twisty than lumpy, plenty of features to break up the monotony of an otherwise flat run and the first half is quite sheltered. Start beside Pluscarden Hall and head toward Elgin, road bends gradually to the left the takes a sharp right under trees (worth riding this section to watch for gravel and find your line pre-race), a slight rise up before leveling out and heading to a roundabout turn that takes you back toward the start, coming back to that sharp corner you'll pick a bit of speed so watch this and the sand that can spill down from a track during heavy rain just before the finish.
Been several years since I last rode it but held my PB there for a while and usually an enjoyable day out. From speaking to George on Friday it sounds as if he was struggling for marshals but hopefully that issue is resolved now.
Col
Maillot Jaune

Postby malcolm » Tue May 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Its a potentially fast course. One or two slight bumps and it rises slightly on the way out of the forest after the first mile.

The turn is at the roundabout at Dr Grays but from memory its fast back. Watch the first few corners after the start and before the finish.
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 am

Always thought this was a sticky kind of course, it inspired me to come up with the Ythanbank Course as there are similarities.

The out leg is long with a steady rise towards Elgin. There is a humpback/railway bridge before/after turn which can feel a bit tough when you are on the limit and a sharp bend at either end of the course. I like the course actually but I never seemed to go very fast on it, probably expect to do a similar time to what you would do at Ythanbank, I would say.

Strangely always had good weather when I have been there - so pack the suncream.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks Guys, I feel good about tomrorow - lets hope Im back in schedule when it comes to the time
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Fri May 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Good luck to the Ythan representation at the Pluscarden 10.

Dave Mac was threatening a 10 PB last weekend, so he might do a good one this week. John you are due a rapid 10 after your trip to Englandshire.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Adam Robson » Fri May 28, 2010 7:44 pm

I like the sound of this course having corners! I have managed to get a late entry so will see you guys up there 8-)
Adam Robson
BMX

Return to Scotland