District AGM

Local races for local people.

District AGM

Postby isobel smith » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:28 am

Just a reminder that the District AGM is on Wednesday 26th October. Common Room Wallace House
7.30pm.
Sean Monaghan is stepping down as Championship Secretary and I'm stepping down as secretary.
These positions need to be filled.
Isobel
isobel smith
Maillot Jaune

Re: District AGM

Postby Colin A » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Sorry Isobel,

I'm away mid week with work so can't make it

Col
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby isobel smith » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

The AGM that wasn't.
Only 5 turned up . 5 apologies from folk who were out of Aberdeen.
To say I'm disappointed and disillusioned is an understatement.
I'm presuming a special AGM will have to be held in the near future but unless some are willing to step into the shoes of the office bearers who are resigning then the District could fold.
Officially I've resigned as from to-night . The future is in the District clubs and their members
Isobel
isobel smith
Maillot Jaune

Postby isobel smith » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:42 pm

A special AGM has been arranged for Thursday 17th November at Freelance World ,Riverside Drive. Time 7.30pm.
Two posts need to be filled ie chairman an Secretary..
These posts are not too demanding but unless filled the District might cease to exists..
Please don't hope that others will turn up. It really is important
Isobel
isobel smith
Maillot Jaune

Postby Fiona Fudge » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Folks

I was absolutely disgusted to hear that only 5 people turned up to the AGM... What's going on??

I am currently based in Manchester and could not be there but I would have attended if I was at home. I know that other people will have had their own committments that prevented attendance. But everyone else... What's your excuse??

I cannot even begin to count how many people in the district participated in cycling events in our area in the last year, or how many people are members of a cycling club which is affiliated to the ADCA.

In case you do not already know, Aberdeen District Cycling Association is the local 'centre' which is affiliated to Scottish Cycling (the governing body of cycling in Scotland) ADCA looks after all our interests in cycling terms. Without ADCA and the committment from volunteers, there would be no affiliated cycling clubs in the area and no racing in the area.

EVERYONE has the responsibility to go along to this meeting, even if you have no interest in being actively involved, please go along and support those who ARE prepared to put the work in to ensure that you can participate in your sport.

Cheers
Fiona
Fiona Fudge
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:36 pm

I’m not really surprised or disgusted. Like you say Fiona, people have other commitments that they feel take priority over being a member of the District such as young families, work, other hobbies etc. Anyway everyone is doing their bit for David Cameron’s “big society” are they not?

I was in Newcastle last week with work, London next week and likely to be away again for the next AGM. It’s a bit like that for me just now and for the foreseeable future. While I would love to take a role to help out even more with local cycling in general, I am loath to take up more commitments than I can manage. I guess it will be the same for others.

The other thing is I think people may be scared of taking up the posts in the District because they don’t really know what the posts entail and how much work they would have to do. For example Isobel put in a huge amount of work as secretary, race organiser, time keeper, commissaire, chef etc. it’s possible people think that as secretary they would be expected to do all that. I don’t know; it’s just a thought. Perhaps if there was a job description and an estimate of the time required more people would know what they were getting themselves in for.

For instance does the chairman and secretary have to go to the SC AGM/ are there other commitments to SC that these posts have to cover?

Perhaps the ACDA should start again and each club should have to put in two members as ADCA committee members or that club can't be affiliated to SC (just a suggestion).

What will happen if no-one comes forward to do the two/three posts that are required?

Is it three posts that are required?:
Secretary
Chairman
Race secretary
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Fiona Fudge » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

I agree Colin, there is a fair bit of mystery surrounding the ADCA and what the roles are.

In fact, I think that many people do not even realise it exists! Some kind of role description and posibly some better marketing within the individual clubs would probably help.

The point I was hoping to make was that people should be going to the AGM regardless of whether they want to be on the committee or take up an executive position. Nobody can be 'forced' to take on a role if they do not want to but what we DO need is people to go along to make a quorum and support the volunteers who ARE prepared to take on the roles of responsibility.

Fiona
Fiona Fudge
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Your right but I guess folk will have thought if they turn up they were going to get “volunteered” for a role.

The Loneys are down in Manchester this weekend.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby malcolm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:42 pm

There are few Ythan members who havent either organised an event,marshaled an event, or ridden events in support of ADCA in the past 6 years since I moved from TCG. How many events have we run over the past few years, how many of us were at the Youth Criterium? We have introduced new innovative races that match the strategy laid down by British Cycling and Scottish Cycling and have started to develop youth cycling in a way never previously done in the North East. Whilst we have a duty to contribute I think on a ratio basis of our membership we have done our bit over the past few years and the majority of cyclists in the ADCA area do not ride for Ythan but for another club.

As for attending the AGM, not everyone is free to go along whether to support volunteers or to volunteer themselves, either through work or family. There is a life outside work but also a life outside cycling. Some of us have done our bit over the past few years in running events, marshaling, others like Isobel have bent over backwards for years to keep things going.

As an organiser when I needed help (outwith Ythan and the usual individuals from the other club that always help), to make an event successful, I raised the issues I was facing, was basically ignored and criticised from several quarters but received help from the same faces that we all see at every race. Our efforts were recognised nationally by SC and latterly by ADCA which meant a huge amount. But not by the majority and that's why the situation is as it is because the majority, as Fiona and Colin and others have pointed out, have been sheltered from the bigger picture for too long about what ADCA was doing, what it involved and what it has the potential to do.

Would I like to help again outwith entering races? ( which remains important because without riders training and entering what is the point). Absolutely but I don't have the spare time now, just like many ,many others within the majority of cyclists. But within that majority is a range of skills and backgrounds, that could become involved if the bigger picture of every aspect of cycle racing (not cycle sport) was introduced instead of channeling them towards events that don't help with race entry levels, don't build the racing skills that are being lost and probably explain why BC memberships are so low compared to the total amount of club members.
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby isobel smith » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Cannot believe that some don't know about the District. No. Volunteer officials do not attend the SC AGM.. Each club is
allowed to send one member per 10 SC/BCF members. Very few from any club have attended in the past few years .
So loads of votes missed out on various issues. I go but as my club representative.
What does the chairman do. He chairs the District meetings and keeps an eye on ttings. Not a difficult task.
Secretary takes the minutes of meetings, sends them out to club secretaries,officials , committee members and other interseted members,uaually arramges the meetings and venue.Organises the date fixing meeting , processes the calendar and submits to SC.
Sends out various notifications from SC to secretaries. Basically that's it. Don't have to organise, time , commissaire events unless you are one.
It's not that time consuming. Think folk spend more time on websites and forums than the time needed to do secretary's job..
I've done more than was perhaps necessary ie chased up marshalls ,been at nearly every event in some capacity or other.
and attended SC date fixing meetings. My choice. However it is time for new blood and new ideas.
In 1955 a certain I. Low was the district secretary. Married and disappeared to raise my family and do a 4 year university course. . Since 83 I've been in situ on and off but mostly on. Managed to teach,run Grampian Primary Schools Badminton ,coach kids,organise tournaments, run folk to races midweek and weekends, do the usual household tasks and time ,commissaire and organise over 100 events. Even managed to race for a few years.
How is that more onerous than in the world of 2011/2012 ? Time that others took the sport more seriously . In other words if no one comes forward clubs will have to affiliate to other Districts, will have no control over their events or funds and will have to travel further afield for meetings.
After the Special AGM and sending the calendar stuff to SC that's it. I've done my bit. no point in moaning if the Sistrict folds.
Isobel
isobel smith
Maillot Jaune

Next

Return to Aberdeen District Area