May time trial

Local races for local people.

May time trial

Postby Colin A » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Got my Police Ok for the TT in May through last night. My letter gave the Haddo house course as an alternative in case they are digging up our first choice road. I suggest that any police applications also include an alternative as I would guess the roads department are going to be busy this year.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: May time trial

Postby colinS » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Thats a good point.

Anyone know of alternative '50' and '100' courses (as opposed the usual Charlseton - Newtonhill - Deeside ones) I could put on my police forms?
I know there was talk of a 100 course going down the A90 to Forfar, but not sure if that is ratified yet.

Colin
The wheel in front belongs to you - Don't lose it!
colinS
Maillot Vert

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:18 pm

You're quick off the mark applying for the Police Ok but if you've got the reply with an ok then that's great
Carol
Maillot Jaune

Postby Col » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 pm

The Forfar 100 was shelved after perceived problems gaining police permission from two separate Forces, not sure if another option was investigated during or after discussions about the Forfar course.
Personally think best chance we have in this area would be laps of a circuit type course further out from Aberdeen but it may be more difficult to gain acceptance for that within the District.
Col
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Can't see how we can't find a 50 and/or 100 course which circuits around Aberdeen(ish) or Stonehaven and then turns at the Stracathro Flyover. Maybe just needs some imagination.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby isobel smith » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:08 am

This has been ongoing for years but apart from Bob no-one has done anything about it.
I've done my stint measuring courses etc so if anyone willing to do some work on this project it needs doing soon.
Get your imagination hat on. You'll find it's nae easy.
Isobel
isobel smith
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 am

I suffer from not knowing the roads around Stoney very well but I'm sure some of the Deesiders or locals who live around there could come up with some roads.

For example: There is a slip road which comes on/off south of Stoney on the A90 (the A92 road which heads off towards Montrose) If we started and finished or turned as necessary around that area and did likewise at the Stracathro flyover, we might be able to get 50 miles out of it (two laps for the 100?).

Might need to add in a wee spur at the Stoney end on the A roads but it would limit it to only a short foray into Tayside Police area, a la Drumlithie 25 and new proposed 10 at Laurencekirk.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby colinS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Most (all) roads around Stoney are a bit lumpy for 50's and 100's, although ideal for 'sporting' TT's.

The junction that heads down to Montrose is OK for getting off the carriageway, but would mean a dead turn on the main A92 Montrose road to rejoin the South carriageway if needed for 100TT ( quite a fast stretch of road and might be a bit iffy).

I guess that there is an option to start approx. 4 miles south of stoney on the A92, head north to join the A90 southbound and head down to the Edzell junction, then retrace back to start area. That would be around 50 miles with a total of approx. 42 miles on the dual carriageway?

A good few drags but I reckon we will get drags wherever we go over that distance..

If anyone thinks this is feasable, I could investigate farther.

Colin
The wheel in front belongs to you - Don't lose it!
colinS
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy D » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I have no idea what this B road is like - but if we started on the A92, take the slip onto A90, down to Stracathro and back up to the junction after the railway bridge and doubling back towards the Garden Centre on the B road, you can re-join at the slip, loop road back to the A92 (means a right turn but that bit of road can be heavily marshalled and you need to abide by rules of the road anyway, so no worse in theory than a round a bout).

Back up the A92 to finish or not as the case maybe depending on distance. Not sure how to get another turn in to do 2 laps and get the 100 out of it, maybe take the left towards Stoney and turn at a mini roundabout or something at the edge of Stoney. (remember these races invariably take place starting at 0700 hours, so busy traffic should not be a major problem) I don't advocate doing much on the A92 as I know it is a pretty dodgy A road.

Like I say, don't know the B road that I am thinking of, so it could be totally unfeasible but there is a junction about a mile or so North after the A92 slip which doubles back towards a Garden Centre to come back out on the loop road at the A92 slip.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Return to Aberdeen District Area