Race Across America (RAM)

Local races for local people.

Race Across America (RAM)

Postby shelley » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:00 am

Cycling for Comrades - On Thursday 12 July 2012 at Knockburn Loch, Strachan, Banchory, AB31 6LL, Richard Clark MC will make a presentation on his plans to cycle with three veterans in the RAAM race across America - 3000 miles. It starts at 7.00pm with Free Admission. Please contact Catherine Ross to book your place - 01330 825718 or cylross@aol.com
shelley
BMX

Re: Race Across America (RAM)

Postby dave mac » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 am

Sounds very interesting - I'll pop along.

If anybody wants a lift just drop me a e-mail
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby shelley » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Please let Catherine know you are planning to go.
thanks
shelley
BMX

Postby dave mac » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 pm

I spoke with Catherine earlier today who unfortunately may have to cancel this presentation due to lack of numbers, if this is the case its a real shame as I certainly think the presentation will be one worth attending.

My interest in the presentation was really to hear about the Race Across America, I didn't take a lot of interest in the motivation behind the event entry until Catherine explained his story. I copied the details she sent below, if you can go, can you please confirm by replying on the forum ? many thanks

Richard Clark MC
Please support Sgt Richard Clark MC.
Richard will be making a presentation on his plans to cycle with three veterans in the RAAM race across America 3000 miles. Richard Clark is indeed a man of courage, humility and I know with his determination and leadership he will succeed. Please see below Richards message Regards Catherine Ross

Team Cycling 4 Comrades will participate in a number of events with the specific intention of raising the profile of our chosen charities, namely, Combat Stress, Poppy Scotland and Horseback UK. The events will culminate in a Race across America (RAAM). The RAAM is in its 32nd year and continues to be described as the World’s most difficult road race, covering 3000 miles and over 100,000 vertical feet, our aim is to endeavour to challenge its current 5 day 9 hour record raising as close to £150,000 as possible. I personally take comfort from being able to take a team of like minded veterans and completing this amazing adventure and in doing so raise funds and awareness for those who have served our Country.
Thank you, Richard Clark MC

Citation
Sgt Richard Clark MC 3 Scots The Black Watch, Royal Regiment of Scotland was awarded the Military Cross for his gallantry in Afghanistan, his citation reads.
Twenty six-year old Corporal Richard Clark, a section commander with The Royal Regiment of Scotland, was awarded one of the highest decorations for gallantry for his actions in Afghanistan.
Corporal Clark received the Military Cross after crawling on his belly towards an enemy machine gun position, bayonet fixed, to silence enemy fire during a deliberate operation in Afghanistan. He led his section in the attack, following a day in the searing heat repelling insurgent attacks on their position. As dusk fell his platoon came under a hail of accurate and sustained machine gun fire from a position 120m to their south.
The enemy's position was protected from sniper fire, and too close to use mortars against. Sizing up the situation, Corporal Clark fired two 66mm rockets, silencing one firing point, but not a second, which was still firing accurate bursts of automatic fire on his position.
Showing courage, leadership and initiative he left the relative safety of his platoon's compound with his section across open ground towards the enemy position. Incoming rounds zipped around him, kicking up dirt at his feet as he positioned a gunner to neutralise the threat of four insurgents reinforcing the enemy stronghold.
Still under fire in the open ground, Corporal Clark was forced to drop to his belly and push forward towards the machine gun position, totally committed and exposed.
With bayonet fixed he hurled two grenades through the doorway of the enemy compound before launching himself into the heart of the enemy position, clearing it with bursts of automatic fire. His calculated and courageous act is credited with defeating the insurgents and the success of the mission.
In a second incident noted in his citation for the award, Corporal Clark directed accurate fire against an enemy position that had inflicted serious casualties to an adjacent platoon and slammed a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) into the parapet just feet below his own position. The RPG attack was followed by a hail of murderously accurate small arms fire.
Corporal Clark's quick reaction to silence the enemy is credited with being instrumental in achieving a break in enemy contact to allow three casualties and two fatalities to be extracted. His citation reads: "In these incidents and others, Clark's instinctive courage in the face of the enemy and leadership has ensured the success of the mission. His initiative, speed of thought and above all utter disregard for his own safety in the face of the enemy has been extraordinary. MOD
PLEASE BOOK YOUR PLACE, SHOW RICHARD YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT; I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE. Regards Catherine Ross
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby dave mac » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Just heard this events canceled due to low confirmed attendance numbers
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Return to Aberdeen District Area