Spanish cycling

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Spanish cycling

Postby Tamsin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Not sure if this really fits in this category, but anyway.....

After the naff summer weather, decided I need some winter sun to look forward to and am trying to persuade sofaboy that we should go somewhere Mediterranean for a week in January. Was wondering about going somewhere we could do some cycling - preferably touring, place-to-place type stuff so there's an incentive to get moving (as in, if you don't get your bum in the saddle, you won't have anywhere to sleep tonight type incentive!)

Has anyone done much cycling in southern Spain or Mallorca / Menorca or somewhere similar (but pref Spanish speaking) at that time of year? Any advice on good places to go? Or helpful websites to check? All advice gratefully received!!

Signed up for the Etape next year, so thought a January cycle in the sun might motivate my training? Maybe? Or will I just drink wine...... :)
Tamsin
Fisher Price Trike

Re: Spanish cycling

Postby malcolm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Maybe a bit far to go but Club La Santa in Lanzarote are doing some reallly good deals just now.
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Re: Spanish cycling

Postby Colin A » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Tamsin,

Just back from Gran Canaria. Staying at the Sandy Beach hotel in Play del inglis.

http://www.hotels4u.com/hotels/seaside- ... hotel.aspx

Attached to the hotel is a bike shop that arrange cycle hire and tours.

http://www.free-motion.net

I did three mornings on road bikes with them and it was fantastic. Apparently they are busier in Jan/Feb and run two groups. A great bunch of guys. The climbing on the routes will certainly prepare you for the Etape.

The hotel is very nice as well. We went all inclusive and basically did a lot of carb loading and recovery sleeping. The resort isn’t very picturesque but there is lots to do, diving, water park, camel rides, close to the beach and clubbing (if you are into that sort of thing).

teh bike rides let you see the villages up the mountainside which are a bit nicer.

Colin
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps