Bealach Mor

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Re: Bealach Mor

Postby John Dougan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:49 pm

I keep getting drawn to this - the Bealach na Ba is some kind of ancient spiritual home (grave?) for Scottish cyclists and I first encountered it with clipped on panniers on a Bernard Thevenet team replica Peugeot equipped with centre pull Mafacs, Simplex gears, (and tubs!) in 1978. I'd saved it seemed for yonks for this bike in Dooley's window. My first ever bike adventure, where I pre-booked about 20 hostels as they used to completely fill up believe it or not, starting from Arran and ferry hopping up the west coast. By the time I got to the Bealach I was storming fit in one of those 70's summers where it never rained. I just couldn't believe where the road was going as no one had told me anything about it. Think my ashes have to go there along with the shards or blob of the Cervelo (what happens to carbon fibre in a furnace?) This year, got dibbed on the Bealach climb before road opened :oops: and was less prepared although overall time was better, god knows but I've gradually started further back in sportives as that seems best as long as you don't get dropped by the fast group, so trial and error is the key. Exception is the Etape C as faster at the front as all the sub-4hr seeds at the front. I'm not doing Etape in 2012 as it is a bit pricey for whole weekend (thoroughly recommended though). Was at Ullapool again for the 65 miler which is is a better route by the great coast road via Lochinver plus only nutters like Ally would do the 130 miler :lol: . I like Ullapool because there is some nightlife after! Next year I believe they are planning one event of 95 miles and all should enter as this will take in the Drumbeg coast road to Kylesku as well and along with the Lochinver stretch this must be one of the best cycling routes in the world, honest (a bit like the road into Shieldaig although longer and maybe hairier from 1978 memory)!
John Dougan
Fisher Price Trike

Previous

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps