Marmotte 2011

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Marmotte 2011

Postby dougan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:41 am

Who all is doing this? I was wondering about booking a package for me and non-cycling Georgia through Sportactive or equivalent to include entry and approx. 4 nights, as seems a bit easier but I notice I've missed a 30 euro discount for faffing about. Will likely drive and and make up 2 weeks trip. Any other ideas welcome. Cheers, John
dougan
Stabalizers

Re: Marmotte 2011

Postby Andy D » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:39 am

John, as you know Fiona and I are doing the Marmotte in 2011 - all being well.

Stevie Blom is making threatening gestures towards the same event and so you may expect to see him riding the Galibier in the big ring in 2011. Could be a Majorca 2010 reunion from the looks of it, will see who else nibbles for a shottie at the big hills.

We were thinking of entering the full Grande Trophee, that's the Vaujanay (spelling) on the Sunday, Marmotte the following Saturday and the TT up the Alpe on the day after the Marmotte - a bit mental but if we do the wee Vaujanay (there are various distances I think), it will be a leg loosener for Marmotte and not too mental hard a week before the main event, which I anticipate will be quite tough - given my ever increasing weight and lack of puff.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:53 pm

It's Official - Me and Mrs D have entered the Grand Trophee L'Oisans 2011 - that's 4 events in a week including the Marmotte and the TT up Alpe D'Huez the day after the Marmotte.

Really looking forward to it, haven't done a Sportif for a while and will do the Cairngorm Classic now as a warm up event, I think.

Now where did I put that 30 tooth sprocket?
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Stevie Blom » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Glad you and Fiona got a starting place.
Sadly i can not commit due to holidays clashing with others at work...... :?

You manage to get in John?
Stevie Blom
Stabalizers

Postby John Dougan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 am

Same problem with holiday clash Stevie. Got into Nove Colli though and flights booked and I've got a few long hilly events leading up to it as training. If all goes to plan by June I might be really annoyed at not going to Marmotte and I'll be looking for a way to get there and in somehow!
John Dougan
Fisher Price Trike

Postby ali » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 am

Nice one Mr and Mrs D, the 4 events are class, but wimping out the complete Vaujanay is bad lol, being honest the real hard bit of that run is the extra loop that is done on the long one! evey time i have rode it i have been on my knees at the end! ie 2 - 3 mph for the last 4 mls!!!,

For the Vaujanay just watch the start, its 20mls downhill on the main roads, mega fast in a bunch of over 1000 is not for the faint harted, then its right onto a narrow road left accross a bridge and 15km of climbing 7% after that is a long nice desent before the easy climb up the col d orinon 4% (spelling!) then a fast desent and the climb to the finish 5km 10%

the race on the Wed is up the Alp then down and up the Vaujanay but it finished a farther 5 km than on the Sat race.

marmotte is usual as u know, and the alp is the same on the Sun.

oh aye and don't kid ur self they are RACES!, last year in the marmotte i was in the 2nd group over the Glandon and we had two motorbike service bikes and a service car giving us time checks! :-) great fun though
ali
Grifter

Postby Andy D » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 pm

Ali, that sounds...err good?!

Tell me, are they still dropping down directly off the Glandon or going on up over the Croix de Fer? probably says somewhere on the web but I couldn't find it (my computer doesn't seem to like the organisers website for some reason)

Not at all sure about the 'warm up' events through the week, not sure I will have the powers of recovery to do a decent ride in the Marmotte after anything too nippy earlier in the week.

Will see how the prep goes with Cairngorm as a wee taster - if I struggle with that I will toil in the Aples!! Will look for my climbing legs when in Mallorca from late Feb.

Am only really training for 10's and 25's just now (I guess the Marmote is just like 4 and a bit 25's one after the other anyway - nae bother!!)
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby ali » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

LOL, mate just got for all the events and enjoy it, yeah the marmotte goes down the glandon, bit dodgy descent but after the 1st few corners its ok,

4 x 25?? that would be around 4 hours...... the marmotte will take u at least 8 hours :-)
ali
Grifter

Postby Andy D » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ali - I think 8 hours might be a bit ambitious for me, given my climbing prowess (or lack of it). 4 x 25 mile TT's uphill was my rationale - although I haven't done a sub hour for a 25 on the flat!!

Aye that Glandon descent seems to be hairy, I know some poor soul got killed coming down it on a bike a few years back - will be taking it steady I think, although those Apline descents have a tendancy to get the blood up and the bit between yer teeth, nice to see if you can hit the high 50's or even 60 mph - I think my record is about 58 mph.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby skeener » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Andy it took me almost 3hrs to get from the bottom of the Telegraph to the top of the Galibier which is about 25mls so good luck with the climbs. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
skeener
Stabalizers

Next

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps