Ken Laidlaw Sportive

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Ken Laidlaw Sportive

Postby dougan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:36 pm

Anybody want to go to this? 30 places left. Great 165km hilly route over all the single track Border roads. I've entered last 3 years and last year was the wettest by far (i'm not selling this too well am I?) I've room for one other in car, leaving 4am latest but you'd have to enter soon.

http://www.hamishdsmith.co.uk/cycling/
dougan
Stabalizers

Re: Ken Laidlaw Sportive

Postby dougan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:29 am

Arrived at Rugby Club sign on 7.30 to blue skies (opposite of last year), event full with 350 or so riders plus auld Ken Laidlaw himself, Scotland's first TdF competitor. Good publicity, even a helicopter, and a bit of fanfare through Hawick, good to be there. It had been reminded to us that it was not a closed road event but complete lack of cars over the hilly 165k made you wonder. Only a few sheep to contend with - must have been the endorphins but I’m sure one of them winked at me. Great well sign posted route, mostly single track with technical descents and lots of resurfaced areas. Whittled down to a lead group of 15 of us after 50k, a few north Englanders and Central Belters from last year who had been doing various eurosportives, and same 7 of us working. Unfortunately I was dropped 5th from last climb and well before the point I got binned last year but got back on descent and after a bit of yoyoing got dropped 4th from last climb to a solo, windy and very warm (got sunburn) final 40k or so. I was very grateful for the last water stop as I had used my 2 bottles and at 5.37 I was 12 places behind first guy home (5.23) and certainly knew I'd had a workout. First lads were giving it serious post analysis so I ducked out and headed for a great hot shower and off up road, stopping for a layby kip as I’d been up since 3.15, long way for a bike ride I know. Felt fine Monday which is a good sign and a lot better than I felt after last Sunday's 11hr crazy mountain trek which I think has scunnered me into wanting to do more biking and races in 2011 with the Marmotte being high on the wishlist...
dougan
Stabalizers

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps