Cairngorm sportive

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Re: Cairngorm sportive

Postby Colin A » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 am

I'll drop my bike off on Friday night Graham. Looking at the forecast for Friday it look like its going to be a cracker. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see what the weather is going to be like on Saturday:

Colin A
Graham P
John H
Alan Y
Dave M
Bob H
Adam R
Mike H?

Anyone else fancy this?
Last edited by Colin A on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 am

I think Adam is coming along also
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby davidimison » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Weather forecast looks favourable :D so I've just booked my name down. I didn't fancy the journey there and back on Saturday so I'll be staying over Fri and Sat night. Can someone let me know what time we are meeting up at the cafe. See you there lads. Hope i don't live to regret this, but i trust what you told me, it is flat all the way except for a 7 mile descent to the finish isn't it? :lol:
davidimison
Fisher Price Trike

Postby John Hunter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Its downhill all the way round

Im aiming to be up at the station about 8:30 ish, so will look out for you guys. Ill have my mobile on me of anyone wants to call ( Pm me if you want the number)

Were dining at the Skiing Do on Friday night if anyone wants to join us, say 7:30? 2 bowls of pasta each?
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby davidimison » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi John, I'll be staying at boat of garten and probably be too late for a meet up, but tell me where it is just in case. Hopefully we'll all be meeting up after the event for dinner/tea. :D
davidimison
Fisher Price Trike

Postby John Hunter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

We will be at the Skiin Doo at about 8:30 for some pasta etc

if anyone is about, feel free to join us.
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Not been back long, what a weekend!!

Started by a nice wee drive via Alford and the Lecht, nice scenary, looks like a nice route...

We camped at the Rothimurcas site, Adam was just the other side of a few trees so we shared a table for dinner, Pasta all round

Saturday brought slightly overcast weather, but not rain and not too cold. Getting an early start we had no troubles signing on and sat about drinking coffee when the rest of the rabble turned up. It was a wee bit chilly at the top but nothing too bad. We all set off together, Graham P having fitted a comedy rubber wheel swerved off the road 50m from the start, I had to look twice to see it was him as assumed at first it was Colin A.

Adam blasted off down the decent and I followed his wheel as well as I could, passing a few cars on the way down, I clocked 43mph max. Adam and I rode on and we looked back but we didnt see another Ythan jersey till Colin caught us in a good group at around 20 miles, we had been in a great group of 25 but the ERC guys decided to race off and the group splintered. Adam and I pulled a few people round for a bit and then we rode with the group Colin was in. The wee hill just at the 50/100 decision split the group up and by the top of it Adam was riding off away from us, Colin and I rode together for the next 20 miles or so till the feed at Glenlivet, we waited for a wee while for any Ythan jersey, but got cold waiting so headed off. We managed to grab the back of a good group, but I messed up at a wee hill and lost contact, I had a wee dig to get back on but decided to back off as If I rode like that up the hill, id soon be spent.

I cruised on still keeping up a 21mph average at this point till just shy of 50 miles when I came up a rise and saw what seemed to be white Ythan top, I was sure it could not be Adam, but it turned out to be him, I pulled over and he looked awful, fed up and not moving much. I told him it was about 10 miles to Grantown, (i wasnt sure) and that we could take our time and stop a lot, but when there we could get more food and maybe Adam could get a lift back. He was sure he was going to quit then. We rode on slow and stopped a lot, he wasnt getting any benefit from the food he had eaten. I passed him a gel but I dont think helped. We ambled in Grantown and amazingly a few Bananas later Adam was back to his jolly self, I downed 4 cakes and a banana also. The rest of the Ythanites had passed us not long before Grantown and were at the feed stop, we had a chat and I said Id stay with Adam and make sure he got back, they rode on. Adam was now much chirpier and we decided to go to the next food stop.

Leaving Grantown, we ended up in moorland, with a lovely wee loch and ruined castle island, good views. The road seemed to go up for ever and each rise we were sure would lead to 10 miles of down.... that never appeared. 60 and then 70 miles came up, taking it easy and rolling down hills as much as we could. We had now decided we would finish this together even if it took us all weekend. We pushed on and stopped again at Boat of Garten for more cake, the young lad at the stand watched in amazement as I ate 7 pieces of the same cake, on one occasion grabbing all the crumbs and pieces on the tray....shame to see it go to waste! That was 80 ish miles at that point and we were now focussed on getting to Coylumbridge, ignoring the climb for now.

The next 10 miles or so were really easy and the cake / banana plan was working well, we rode up the gentle slopes to the start of the real climb, saving as much energy as we could. We caught a young lass we had been passing and then being passed by for 30 miles, at the start of the climb we were 3, I tried to pull the gang up the climb, but Adam told me to just ride off and he would take his time and stop if needed, but he would get there. So I rode up and even passed a few people on the way. 200m from the top I stopped and put a foot down and waited for Adam. We'd rode from half way together and we would finish together. Adam came up the last rise and we crossed the line to clock 6:13 on my bike computer and 6:54 on the chip time. I was really chuffed we did it, any thoughts of getting a time dissapeared when I caught Adam, we just had to get back safe after that.

This is a really good event, Its much harder than the Etape Cal, less people made it less stressful and overall the riding quality was better. Really good, efficient organising and good value with the food, cake and drinks.

Ive never ridden 100 miles before, including riding back to the campsite I have 106.69 miles on my computer for the day.

Sunday, we went for a 15mile rode to kincraig and back via more cakes at Inschriach Nursery. My missus Nicola pulled Adam and I around, by the end we had had enough of being on the saddle and riding a bike.

In conclusion, I could have got round the course much faster, but I dont think I would have felt as good on the line as I did. Sometimes it it isnt about the time or the distance, theres more to it. I really hope they got a pic of us crossing the line together, it will be a good one for the club gallery.
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby davidimison » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:13 pm

As previously arranged we all met up and set off down the mountain together. On the way down Graham P developed a wheel wobble and ended up in the gutter 3 times. However i'm told this regularly happens to Graham after a night out and so he continued on, none the less for wear. Unfortunately he only realised he had this problem 12 months ago on the same hill as it happens, and so he hasn't had much time to get it sorted. :lol:

Personally with my jacket unfastened, i fairly 'sailed' down the mountain. However, once on the flat i soon appreciated that a flapping jacket was not the most aerodynamic ;) so i stopped to take it off. This worked fine for my aerodynamics but also meant that i didn't see another ythanite until the second feed station. :!: Much to my relief, Dave M, Graham P, Alan Y and Bob H were all busy stuffing their faces. Apparently, in his haste to get back to see the Englasnd game, ;) Colin (every man for himself) Allanach had overlooked the fact that we were all meant to be riding together and had buggered off. :o

We carried on after that at a reasonable speed, with Dave Mac and Bob H doing most of the pacemaking. At around the 50 mile mark we noted John H and Adam R at the side of the road. It seems that Adam was knackered, having just realised that his previous maximum run this year of 26 miles was woefully inadequate for 100 miles of rolling hills :!:
Surprisingly, accompainied by John, he managed to complete the rest of the course. It seems he offered John a free meal if he got him all the way round and not one to say no to a freebie, John gladly watched Adam suffer for a further 50 miles :!: Hey, but what are friends for. :lol:

The only other concern of the day was from Dave Mac, worrying about the journey back with Colin, knowing that Colin would have no problem filling a 2 hour jouney with details and reminisces of how he had completed the course in a faster time than him. :( The last i heard, Dave was trying to get Bob H to sit in the front so that he could sit in the back to more easily switch off :lol:
davidimison
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Colin A » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Team orders before the start, “lets go round as a group”. Reality set in within 30 m of the wet decent starting when Graham got speed wobble and Dave M, Dave I, Bob and I all held back. In the meantime a bus passed and was then held up by slow riders in front. This meant that Mike H, Alan Y, John H and Adam R got away down the slippery seven mile decent and into a group for the undulating road to Nethybridge. I doubt any of the chasing group were inclined to hit 43 mph on that wet road anyway.

The following group managed to pass the bus and get in with some Perth United guys. Dave M took a turn at he front then dropped back, I made a mistake and finds myself at the front for a couple of short turns. The group sped on through Nethybridge and, learning from my mistakes from The Etape Cal. I stayed at the front of the group for the hill out of Nethybridge. I assumed the others were just behind me. At that point the group picked up Alan, John and Adam. I decided to let the Perth boys go ~(sorry they upped the pace) and ride with the Alan, John and Adam. It was then I discovered that Dave M, Dave I, Graham and Bob had dropped back a bit. So I soldiered on watching Adam cruise up the hill, out of sight and onwards to Bridge of Brown where again the earlier rain had made the most dangerous part of the course even more dodgy.

John and I were alone along the road to Glenlivet and arrived at the feed station and stuffed our faces with banana and cake. We waited for the rest but there was no sign and I was trying to find a group we go off with because I knew the next bit was a bugger on your own. Two riders broke ranks (Campag boy and Assos mannie). They were fairly swift and when I did try to take a shot at the front I was told to sit behind them like a good boy. The next stage to Granton is hard work with steep bums which sap your energy. At that point I met Adam who said he was knackered and had blown. I offered him some food but he said he had just eaten. It was at that point I noticed John had gone as well. I pressed on alone along the long drag to Granton and then the hard work began. I was on my own and feeling lonely as I climbed out of Granton over the moors fighting the wind (I never saw a castle) and then sped back to boat of Garten with a group consisting of Purple guy, Edinburgh lassie and very tall bloke.

Got to the last feed station and I couldn’t face anything else sweet so I just gulped two glasses of water and headed off with purple guy. I got to Coylumbridge at 5:15 and thought that sub six was on the cards and that was still the case until I reached the last 3.5 mile and the steep bit of the climb. 31 minutes it took me for that last excruciating 3.5 miles and I watched the clock slip past 6 hours crossing the line in 6:06.

Really enjoyed the day again. Although we said we would stay as a team it’s very hard to keep tabs on where everyone is when you are being pulled along in a group.

The others came in soon afterwards and there were remarks from the finish line judges about how good the group looked with their matching kit.

Well done to Adam for finishing at all when at 50 miles he looked a broken man and well done to John for staying with him. 8-)

Thanks for the informative text Dave when the Sassenachs scored , I had Ingerlund down for a 1:0 win in the sweeper thing at work. You dodgy keeper put paid to that. :(

And Dave was more worried about some of the "interesting" songs on my I-pod than my tales of my epic ride in the Cairngorm wilderness ;)
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:38 pm

43mph.... I broke for a car, hit more than that on the way back down.... Adam was faster first time down as well. :mrgreen:

Oh I nearlt forgot, 100 miles and Colin A stayed upright, he did crash into the table in the cafe afterwards tho..

Alan... sorry I forgot about you, only remembered we rode with you for ages just now oops
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

PreviousNext

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps