Cairngorm sportive

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Re: Cairngorm sportive

Postby Adam Robson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:04 pm

So turning up at the start of the Cairngorm 100 I could be forgiven for being a little nervous, the longest I have managed to get out on the bike this year was 25 miles, so doing close on 100 seemed like a slightly daunting if not stupid task! :lol: We all grouped together at the start and I assumed we would probably ride around together, however from the very start we split up, Graham flew down the hill, almost literally as he wobbled his way into the gravel due to the immense speed, leaving myself, John H and Alan to tackle the wet corners, we even managed to overtake several cars on the way down!

As we passed Loch Morlich campsite we noticed a group was beginning to develop, so made the gap up to them, we eventually joined another group and must have had around 20 or so riders by the time we turned off at Coylumbridge. We were comfortably cruising along when after doing a turn at the front and returning to the back, I overheard several ERC riders mentioning the group was too big and they jumped to the outside and sprinted away, tearing the group to pieces, myself John and Alan then carried on to Nethy Bridge where we nearly became an advertising feature on the back of a bus, for some reason the driver believed the best tactic with all of these cyclists around was to drive along with his hazards on, as we approached the bus stop I believed he was picking up passengers, only to have to jam on the brakes as he not only just pulled out on us, but he failed to signal his intentions, bloody Stagecoach drivers! :evil: from here on I think Alan had dropped back and Colin had caught myself and John.

We made our way up the first testing climb where the 50 & 100 courses split, I felt really good and with not having a compact chainset or a bigger cassette felt I had to keep my speed up on the climbs to keep the pedals turning on the steep bits, the next climb out of Bridge of Brown was much the same.

The next section to Ballindalloch seemed to go very well, at this point I was riding mostly by myself, joining up with the odd rider here and there, before I caught two guys both riding Airborne ti framed bikes. As we made our way along the silky tarmac on the main road and turned off on to the Grantown road, my body suddenly decided it had had enough, within a few miles Colin rode by looking strong and shouted if I had eaten enough, which I felt I had but the food seemed to be sitting on my stomach, I soon came to a stop and saw John riding up one of the short climbs, thankfully he stopped to check I was ok and after a short break I jumped on the bike hoping to at least make Grantown to pull out, I lasted all of 200m before I had to stop again feeling worse for wear and like I was going to bring up a mixture of undigested Powerbar's and gels.

After another break we rode on at an extremely slow pace and made the food stop where I ate a few bananas, and caught up with a guy I worked with at Alpine Bikes 9 years ago, the bananas seemed to go down better than the bars I had been eating and I suddenly felt a lot better and decided to plod on. John sat in front for the first part of the climb out of Grantown, fuelled by the promise of free food if he managed to get me around, and we carried on along up the exposed moorland. This climb seemed to go on forever and the constant headwind didn't help, although we had some stunning scenery to look at as we road past Lochindorb. The long steep descent, as shown on the route profile never seemed to arrive, and the Cairngorms appeared in the distance as if to tease us with what was still to come.

John then had an eating competition all by himself as he scoffed away at 7 pieces of home made (Tesco) cake at the last feed station, before we made our way back along the road to Coylumbridge and the climb up to Cairngorm. Here I planned my memorial if the last climb killed me, something along the lines of a Tom Simpson memorial with 'Should have stuck with mtb' inscribed, we then caught a lassie who we had been passing and then being overtaken again for the last 30 miles, we all set off up the last climb together and I soon found myself struggling again, 90 miles in my untrained legs and too big a gear meant I had to walk parts of the climb until the first corner where it levelled out and I was able to jump back on the bike, at one point Marco came tearing past shouting something, i'm not sure if he was actually riding the event or not, but I was happy to reach the finish! :D

Thanks again for getting me round John! :D
Last edited by Adam Robson on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Robson
BMX

Postby dave mac » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Colin A wrote:And Dave was more worried about some of the "interesting" songs on my I-pod than my tales of my epic ride in the Cairngorm wilderness ;)

Interesting songs on the ipod ! The last time I heard some o that tunes was on my grandas 8-track!! ;)

Bob, Graham,Alan and myself met up with Dave I at the second feed station, we stuck together for the rest of the route.

It’s fair to say that covering that distance over the various climbs into a wind that never seemed to be friendly is always going to be a challenge, I am sure that everyone had their own highs and lows,for me the lasting memory was the determination of us all to get up that hill at the end of the event.

Roll on next year :)
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Bill » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Next year???? That will be the warm up for the BIG ONE then? ;)
Bill
Maillot Vert

Postby John Hunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 pm

next year...... I fancy something continental.....
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby malcolm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Now now Mr Hunter, the closest you will get to continental next year will be a croissant and a coffee at the Inversnecky, its the Alford Bike run for you once you have your daddy duties!!
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 pm

I forgot to mention I met Ken Merry at the end. He's just rejoined Ythan and did the run in just under 6 hrs at 5:57. Also Brid Walsh who has ben over for club runs and a tuseday night TT did it in 6.20.

Well done everyone
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Malcolm, it seems if I make a weekend away of it, I can get a pass out to do these things..... lets see if it lasts
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby dave mac » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Bill wrote:Next year???? That will be the warm up for the BIG ONE then? ;)

That and a run doon tae Aviemore and back :shock:
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Previous

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps