Etape caledonia

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Re: Etape caledonia

Postby Nick_H » Sun May 16, 2010 10:13 am

Congratulations to Veli on another win - 3:28 is that the quickest one so far?

Also to our own John Dougan who came in at 3:33 a few seconds behind James Cracknell (Olympic rower). Good effort John :mrgreen:
Nick_H

Postby Colin A » Sun May 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Cracking day. Nice weather and friendly people out cheering.

I wasn't sure about how lumpy it was so took it fairly steady. Got round in 4:15:46 which is exactly what I was looking for. I duffed up a few groups getting bunged out at the wrong time and did a few stretches on my own. You live and learn. Schiehallion wasn't that bad but the sharp climb at 76 miles was a bitch followed by some leg sapping bumpy bits.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Nick_H » Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Col,
You're right. They must have been later finishers as at the time I posted Veli was home and still ahead of the field by some way.

Congrats on 4:15, good time. that wee hill at Logierait is a swine isn't it!
Nick_H

Postby vekur2001 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 pm

It looks like I had the quickest time, but there's two sets of results on the website - one says that I was first and the other says that I was fourth. Go and figure!
vekur2001
Grifter

Postby John Hunter » Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 am

Morning all

Was too tired to post anything last night, Nic wasnt well so had to drive back so worn out by the time feel into the house.

Yesterday was a cracking day out and I really enjoyed it, Glad to finally get round the route.

I managed to miss my start time (which wasnt so bad really) as the queue for the gents was massive (10 portaloos is far from being enough)

Setting off at about 7:20 ish I was with a lot of people who were not going to be going the same pace, I rode the first wee bit thru the bunches and caught up with Alan Y and rode with him for a wee while, he seemed to be going well and we were keeping up at the 18mph average. I went for a turn at the front of the group as the pace had dropped off, round 20miles or so, looked back and no sign of Alan or most of the group. The pattern for the day was set, I managed to hold some fast groups as they came past but not for very long, just didnt have the speed. All went really well and the wee climb up Schehalian was really nice and I actually enjoyed it. Ive worked on my climbing a lot and its paid off. I may not be super fast up the climbs, but Im not totally knackered at the top and have the legs to push on once the gradient eases.

The wind round to Fortingall was a bit breeze and I could have done with a group to latch onto, I caught a decent group on the other side and once on smooth roads we kept up a nice 22-23mph run into weem, when for some reason people just died again. So on with 5 guys till the Logierait turn, drop to the small cogs, take it wide and breeze up the climb as others fall off.

I came home 100% spent in 4:20, so under my 4:30 target for the day. Really Really happy with that time, its the longest Ive ever ridden my bike without a stop of any sort. Ive only ridden over 50 miles 4 times this year as well.

Well done to all who got round, I know a few people who were in the 6hrs bracket and are barely alive today.
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby davidimison » Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 am

Good event, good weather and good support. I was really surprised by the number of people cheering us on all the way round, and not a tack to be seen! I also missed my start :cry: but with the number of people there its not too surprising.The first 10 mile or so was fairly chaotic with huge differences in ability being apparent, whilst some were going like express trains others seemed to be going backwards! Part way in i got in with a group including two guys wearing shirts that had 'DUFF BEER' as a dubious sponsor/team name. Honest its true, I know its a questionable marketing name but it worked for me. From then on i decided to 'follow the beer', so to speak! :D Furthermore because i was comfortable in this group it was good to think that i could 'catch a beer' whenever i wanted. ;) Any way after a while i decided to 'pass on the beer' on the hope that i may find a 'CRAP WHISKEY' logo to follow. :lol: Unfortunately, I didn't see any, although there wer lots of other 'shorts' out there. :roll: Anyway i was determined not to kill myself on my first ever sportive and so after stopping at all 4 feed stations, shipping my chain and a rather long call of nature i had an official finishing time of 4.35.14. Im happy with that :) I'm sorry to say that i didn't see one ythanite the whole weekend, maybe we can get better organised next year.
davidimison
Fisher Price Trike

Postby dougan » Mon May 17, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks guys. Sorry for not meeting up, but after not sleeping last year in my £120 a night hotel, decided to sign on Friday (also as I had to water my new turf at home Friday and Saturday!). Had great dawn drive down on empty roads from Old Deer on Sunday with Ipod tunes to be 5th in car park. Time for a coffee and chat at wee restaurant on corner that had opened up early, and well timed toilet visit to rugby club pavilion, not many discovered it as there was a big queue at portaloo outside :lol: Then up to start at 7am. What a buzz, cameras on tripods, film cameras on backs of motorbikes, kids staring in awe over the barriers at all the bling bikes and colours. This was the best atmosphere so far and a superb Scottish event - should be on everyone's calendar. A whittled down bunch af about 30 of us rolled along the loch sides, perfect temp, light head wind, then tail, as we turned towards the climb. Legs and lungs felt a lot better that during week due to 2 days rest, drug cocktail of quinine (in tonic water - stops cramp), caffeine, adrenaline and asthma inhaler. Plus my fave (cheating) wheels. Does the trick every time. Prayed for no punctures as we went through last year's 'tack central'. I knew I would get dropped on climb but didn't panic and kept below lactic zone and then gradually passed a fair number that had gone up too fast at start - yes you indeed live and learn. Closed a big gap when it levelled out towing a few youngsters (haha) to join a group and about 15 of us that worked away unevenly to Logierait, into the wee ring and tried to make a go for it off front like I was in the Giro or something. Got caught on next hill and dropped as punishment, and rolled in solo to big cheer from complete strangers :D Good banter at end, best time yet due to good group and conditions. Text to girlfriend and others, and then met mate and his wife for home made bread pud at Dufftown on way back home. Fell asleep on couch after 2 cans Guinness and some Italian wine and pizza while watching superb Giro. A Perfect Day.
dougan
Stabalizers

Postby John Hunter » Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 am

aye the ride down was great, till as you swing out to take a corner, some tool cuts inside you and almost wipes you out then goes into the grass

did you make up a table of the times for us all?
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 am

It cant have been me....... I had a number on for sure..... I was looking for ya

I was steaming to the portaloos probably when you saw me..

The KOM times have gone off the website :(
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Mon May 17, 2010 11:06 am

KOM times
131 John Dougan Male 00:19:34.01
189 John Hunter Male 00:26:25.01
2515 DAVID IMISON Male 00:26:25.01
1583 Alan Yeatman Male 00:27:11.01
468 Colin Allanach Male 00:27:54.01

Now, what odds on Dave I and me having the same time?

I did the wee hill in 40 mins last year (timed on bike speedo, as had an inflation issue part way up)
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

PreviousNext

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps