Snow Roads Audax

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Snow Roads Audax

Postby Carol » Sat May 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Today Mike and James are doing the snow roads. Mike has just text to say
that he has reached just over the halfway mark in Dufftown (97 miles) at 1pm
Carol
Maillot Jaune

Re: Snow Roads Audax

Postby Nebulous » Sun May 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Home safely job completed, and what an experience it was!

We both ran a bit late and when people set off I was worried about not knowing the route so I left without Mike. Along to Fettercairn, up over the Cairn O' Mount and down to the first control at Strachan. Up through Banchory and eventually we ended up at Gadies restaurant at Oyne for a break. They did us proud with a cycling special on soup and sandwiches and free scones and cake. It's not often I do 106 kilometres and then have my first lunch before 10 o' clock in the morning!

Mike caught up there and we spent the rest of the ride together. He reckoned I left without him because I couldn't stand the thought of 20 hours of his company! We made up our minds that first priority was to finish, hopefully before dark and secondly that we needed to make sure we got breaks and food.

Out from Gadies through Rhynie, up over the Cabrach to Dufftown and another break and control. A sandwich and coffee from a shop and we were off again. The next section was 80 kilometres and recognised as the most difficult, Dufftown - Tomintoul- Lecht - Braemar. By this time we were pretty fed-up of sweet stuff and energy drinks. That was a long slog, but at Braemar they gave us beans on toast, which revived us a bit and we set off up Glenshee for the last lap.

What goes up must come down though and I love descending. It's been a long held ambition of mine to break 50 mph and we had some cracking descents during the day. I was sure I must have made it, got home, plugged in my Garmin and I hadn't. 48 mph down Cairn O' mount and 49.3 down Glenshee but still no 50.

A feature of the whole day was the great weather. Plenty sun, as little wind as you'll get on some of the most exposed bits of the country, and the biggest issue for most people was sunburn.

We both finished fairly strongly, got back without needing lights, and got soup and Bradies at the hall in Kirriemuir.

301 kilometres (187 miles) 3953 metres of climbing, 12 hours 15mins or so on a bike and 15 hours 20mins total time.

All-in-all, not a bad days cycling.

James
Nebulous
BMX

Postby Colin A » Sun May 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Kudos guys.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Chris C » Sun May 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Well done to the both of you - quite an achievement.
Chris C
Maillot Jaune

Postby Carol » Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Absolutely, great achievement... Mike even managed to get his legs motivated today to stand by the roadside andcheer
us on at Fordoun.. :)
Carol
Maillot Jaune

Postby mike g » Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Must admit i was a wee bit worried about this especially on Thursday night when i was up in Elgin doing the Inchberry 10 and it was only 5 degrees with a few sleet showers and a pretty strong wind!! And the fact the snow gates were shut at the Lecht that day(not too sure i would have had the strength to lift the bike over them :lol: )
Anyway thanks to James for waiting for me to finish my soup at Gadies,i should have made sure i knew where the hall was!
Really was a great day and total respect to the guys and girls who make a habit of doing these events.
Looks like your going to have to do it again next year James so you can hit that magic 50(try starting further back maybe) ;)
mike g
BMX

Postby Neil B » Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 am

Great effort guys, I take it you have both booked in for next year already!!
Neil B
Fisher Price Trike

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps