Cairngorm 100

Off to a Sportive event? 'Racing' a charity event or just going somewhere nice with your bike?

Cairngorm 100

Postby Bondie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Just signed up for this on the 2nd of June, 129 entries so far. Anyone else coming along? Price has gone up to £39.
I'm going for a PB of under 6hrs this year, so need some encouragement along the way. (Going to cut down on stops so might not even have to cycle faster, just eat less cakes).
Dave Mac not sure you're invited, according to Bob Hill you spent longer in the Lav last year than on the bike :D
Colin A said he would have had a course record if he hadn't waited for you :D

129 entries so far, only 2 from YCC.
Bondie
Grifter

Re: Cairngorm 100

Postby Neil B » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am

Looking for some advice from those who have done this before.

What sort of time would you recommend leaving Ellon to get to the start for 8.30? Or should I be looking to get there earlier? And is there lots of parking at the start?

Cheers

Neil
Neil B
Fisher Price Trike

Postby dave mac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Ok Ok – perhaps the toilet stop did take a while – its my age :oops:

Up for it again this year and really keen to give it a go - thought one stop at Granton should do it.

Neil - I am sure there will be a few entering so perhaps we can organise the transport – timings etc a bit closer to the event.
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Nah need to eat at the 50 mile food stop. But not for long...

Is Graham parley up for it again this year? We always have a good squad outing at this one.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Graham19 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 pm

not entered yet will do this week van available for transport .we doing a team timetrial for club record ?
Graham19
Raleigh Banana

Postby dave mac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Team time trial sounds good.

Just like to point out that I have the Deeside Dualathlon the weekend before, might be a bit a wee bit tired :(

Would it be ok to hide in the team pack till the final climb? ;)
dave mac
Maillot Vert

Postby mike g » Sat May 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Dave-That might be better than hiding in the toilet.....!! :lol:
mike g
BMX

Postby Colin A » Tue May 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Nine Ythanites on the start sheet. hope the weather is fine.

"just like to point out that I have the Deeside Dualathlon the weekend before, might be a bit a wee bit tired :(

Would it be ok to hide in the team pack till the final climb? ;)"

better ask Andy first - where's the Yeatmeister this year :?:
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Nine Ythanites went up to the Cairgorm ski centre for the 5th running of the Cairngorm classic sportive. We even had a guest rider, George Cruikshank from Cruden bay. The plan was to try to keep together as much as possible but there would be no waiting for anyone who had a puncture or mechanical. As usual the early morning in the cairngorm centre was damp and cold. As we set of the road looked a bit slippy so we all took it fairly calmly downhill for the first seven miles. There were other braver soles (nutters) who were hurtling down the hill at breakneck speed.

At the bottom of the hill we regrouped (however Alan Bond was missing) and the weather was much nicer and the road dry. We then scooted along at a fair old pace with Dave Mac, Graham P and Mike H the main contributors to the pull. We looked behind and noticed a string of cyclists getting a free ride. We reached the short sharp hill at the split for the 50 mile ride where unfortunately Bob Hill and myself didn’t manage to hang on. We could see the group slip to about 500 yards ahead but couldn’t catch them again. At Glenlivet food stop we regrouped and the Ythan train held together for the next 15 miles to Granton, we cracked the 50 mile marker at just over 2.5 hours. (We actually got some nice feedback about the new kit at that stage- nice one Andy). We left Granton and on the hill Graham P was dropped, then George then myself. It was a lonely treck over the moor but I wasn’t feeling too bad at this stage. At 70 miles and with the lead group out of site I rounded the corner off the moor. I noticed a couple of guys repairing punctures. I gave them the “nae luck, are you ok” speech and pedalled on. About 100 yards later I got the bouncing sensation from my back wheel- bugger a puncture (The Garmin shows a 8min 27 second stop as I wrestled with my tyre). Graham and George passed as I waved them on. After the puncture I began to coast, all thoughts of a decent time gone. There weren’t any groups to hang onto at that stage and I was beginning to tire.

By that time the rest of the squad had met up at the final food stop and waited a bit for me before sensibly heading off again. Mike Giles and Mike Harper were the main guys at the front for the draggy pull back to Coylumbridge. The long last seven mile hill climb back to the ski station seems to go on forever with that last steep 3 mile section taking every effort to turn over the pedals. the group split up at this stage with the stronger climbers pulling away for teh final accent.

I don’t yet have the full results but a few made it under the 6 hours and a couple more were just over. By the steep part of the hill my legs were mince, I’m not quite sure how I managed to stay on and not go for the walk of shame but I heaved my broken carcase (which now weighed a tonne and a half) up the hill to finish in 6hrs 16mins. Faster than last year but still a long way to go to get under that 6 hour mark. Alan Bond came in a wee while later and he looked shattered. He had overestimated the weather conditions and was wearing artic polar cycling gear.

For the record the fastest guy round was apparently 4 hrs 42 mins.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Nebulous » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:21 am

Well done guys - sounds good. Quite a good turnout, and it sounds like a nice piece of teamwork. I came close to signing up, but eventually didn't make it.

James
Nebulous
BMX

Next

Return to Sportives, Charity Rides and Training camps