Ellon Academy track

AGM info, nights oot etc

Ellon Academy track

Postby Colin A » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Folks, I thought I would use this thread to discuss the updates regarding the School track.

A couple of things:

:arrow: I have written a letter for Isobel to send to the council on behalf of ADCA supporting our request for a track.

:arrow: Peter is organiasing a meeting with Bert regarding how he can help out.

:arrow: Chris Soper was at the Aberdeenshire Sports Council AGM last night. here is his report.

"Colin,

You'll be glad to know I was amongst the vocal members of the audience tonight. Just sending an update whilst I remember everything.

There was a councillor in attendance who mentioned Ellon academy along with other new build facilities being undertaken so I raised a point as to why have a consulation after they have made plans and said there is no money left which his round about answer was to make the consulation next week so hopefully we get a good Ythan CC turnout. He has indicated that something such as a track could be done but we would need to secure the funding for it. The sports council funding was slashed to £1500 for this year and £0 for 2012/2013

There was also the Regional Coaching and Volunteering Manager from Sport Scotland in attendance so had a chat with him about funding and facilities. He has asked me to e-mail him to get put in touch with the guy who deals with the facility funding side of things so will do that this week. He also indicated there is funding available for anyone looking to do their Level 1 cycling coaching award.

The Sports Council also asked if we would be taking part in the Inverurie Bike Ride - I said we were looking at taking the kids along to take part like we did at the Fyvie Charity Run."

:arrow: I've got a meeting at lunchtime today about a track at Transition Extreme in Aberdeen as well.

:arrow: Public consultation on the 8th of June at Ellon academy - Please try and get there

I'll update on here
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Ellon Academy track

Postby Colin A » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:49 pm

To those going down to the Ellon Academy tomorrow night to see the new plans for the school I thought I might let you know the latest updates.

1/ The plans that have been released show no area for a cycle track

2/ From my discussions with the Leisure & sports guy it appears that cycling has never been on the radar and the sports activities they are putting in replaces what the existing school has. There are no plans to do an upgrade or an increase in the sports facilities.

3/ It appears that the council have been in touch with BC in the past and have offered to extend the existing track at Huntly. BC naturally seem to have jumped at this chance and are keen to develop that. This is even though there is no cycling infrastructure in Huntly with no coaches or youth set up. As far as I can ascertain there has been no consultation with the local cycling clubs regarding that facility in Huntly so I don’t know who made that decision.

4/ It is obvious that money is very tight and the leisure & recreation guy will play this up at the meeting.

5/ British Cycling have very clear ideas of the type of track they will endorse (6m wide! Over 1km in length and with no areas of possible interaction with other sports. _ this makes it difficult to have a circuit round playing fields for instance. But there are clever designs to get around these issues.

6/ I have not really gone into any detail about funding – If possible it would be best for the school to build the track at the same time as the school by the council to reduce costs but the least we should be able to get is a commitment to look at areas for provision of a track providing we can source funding ourselves. There are areas of funding – BC, SC, SportScotland and private individuals and of course some fundraising ourselves.

8/ If you are speaking to the council guy then these are some of the benefits of building a multi-sport track facility.

• Safe area for training of sports cyclists.
• A facility to hold inter club and inter school cycle races
• Safe area for teaching cycle skills to encourage pupils and other members of the community to use bikes as a mode of transport. E.g. Bikeability training
• Additional use for wheelchair sports.
• In-line skating area.
• Nordic roller skiing area.
• In conjunction with the swimming pool, Ellon Academy could become a centre for youth triathlon as youths cannot race the cycle leg of a triathlon on the road until aged 16.
• The track could be used as an all weather running area.
• The track could be used for an area for pupils to walk around during lunch breaks with the inclusion of some park benches at the side of the track.
• The track can be used for light vehicular access to other parts of the sports field for maintenance.
• Remote controlled car racing

9/ I’ve got a presentation that I’ve to deliver to Tim Stephenson and hopefully Tim McKay in between the two sessions. I’ll try and stay on afterwards to play the presentation to anyone who will listen but I’ve got a feeling that I may not get much opportunity.

10/ From my brief discussions so far it appears to be fairly negative. To be honest I get the feeling that this Wednesday evening isn’t really a consultation. It is a fait accompli. However having said that I will go along, put forward our case, listen to what they say and see how we can take it forward.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 am

I actually came away from the meeting in a fairly positive frame of mind. Tim Stephen the Leisure & recreation manager listened to the presentation and thought it was a good idea. I gave the two options:

1/ A perimeter circuit round the proposed playing fields. 800m long

2/ A circuit that doubles back on it’s self using three sides of the playing fields – 1km long. A bit like following the outside of a horseshoe. This is the preferred option from BC as it doesn’t interfere with other sports in the playing field.

At this point he committed to ask the architect to look a shuffling things around to see what fitted best (or if it didn’t fiat at all). But it was unlikely that the track would be in the first set of plans or that it would be built with any council money.

Then we spoke to Tim McKay, the headmaster and he said he had been thinking about how it could be fitted in. He said that the rear staff car park and bus drop off area could be sealed off at any time on weekend and some evenings. This area could be used for our needs. The advantage of the car park area is that it could be changed easily with cones etc to make different types of circuit. This could be incorporated right at the start and he was keen to speak to us and SC reps to see what we needed. The only reservation I have about this is that it may be a bit short for our needs so I think that if option 1 & 2 are not possible we could use option 3 with a bit of an extension.

I have sketches of each of the options if anyone wants to see them.

I’ll keep you up to date as it progresses.

Colin
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:34 am

Peter and I had a meeting with Tim Stephen at Aberdeenshire council on Friday. The architects have basically said we can’t have a track round the outside of the playing field because of planning restrictions and the requirement for landscaped areas. We can however utilise the teachers car park area and are willing to discuss the best way training facilities could be fitted in.
Unfortunately there wasn’t anyone from the architects’ department to discuss this with but Tim is organising a meeting with them to see what we could do. We feel that landscaping shouldn't be much of a restrcition as we could put in some sort of track that is sympathetic with any landscaping required.

I must say that without having the backing of Peter as the representative from Scottish Cycling I get the feeling we wouldn’t have even got to this stage. Having someone from the governing body gives us the clout to say we are taking the future of cycling in the area seriously and not just a wee club who would like a bit of car park to play on.

I got the feeling that until recently the council had no idea about cycle sport in the area and even less idea about our club.

I'll keep you up to date with progress on this part of the forum.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Fiona Fudge » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Well done Colin, you are doing a great job. Thank you for having the determination to push this on against such closed minds... If we keep drip feeding the message, they will get it eventually.
Fiona Fudge
Maillot Vert

Return to Club News