Our next Projects?

AGM info, nights oot etc

Our next Projects?

Postby Colin A » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 pm

After the work we did for the new school track (Although there are i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed with that project) there are a few other options to look at for opening up cycling in our area.

Track in Aberdeen

I spoke to the CEO at Transition extreme and they seem quite keen on developing a track like Dundee's one at the Links. It's very very early stuff but it fits in with their future strategy. Hopefully that can fly.

AECC

We enquired about using the Aberdeen Conference centre car park areas for closed training areas but we have had absolutely no response from a number of enquiries.

Haddo House

However better news is that I am also now in discussions with Haddo house regarding a couple of proposals;

1/ An off road track for mountainbiking (we could use it to host a CX race in the future).
2/ Open up a through road past the house itself with access and bike facilities to the coffee shop - Ideal for short club runs or the end of a longer one.

First Minister

Claire and Peter met with Alex Salmond a few weeks ago to talk about cycling development in the area. hopefully we will get a report on their discussions in the next newsletter.

Aberdeenshire Council

In addition Aberdeenshire council have asked us to be involved with their cycling strategy for the Formartine area. But this is very slow and we are still waiting for our first meeting.

My idea would be to try and formally link up some of the attractions in the area ( A bit like Graham Ps mountain bike route) with proper signposting etc.

I also think the council should be trying to do more teaching / training / attitude modification for local drivers with respect to how they deal with cyclists.

Anything else you think should be in the strategy document?
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Our next Projects?

Postby malcolm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Schools? is there a need for a link between the work being done by NESTRANS and Active Schools/Cycling Scotland/Bikeability and using that to increase participation levels, especially girls in cycling in general then convert that into more girls racing. The role models are there whether its Lizzie Armistead or Fiona.
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:26 pm

That was part of our sales pitch to the school. i.e a track could be used to teach cycling skills for children and adults alike.

I see there is a new school being built in the Mearns. Although nothing to do with us it would be good if the planners could think about incorporating a track in all schools as well as the usual football pitch etc.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Carol » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Haddo House:-
In the paper tonight:-

"A string of planned imprrovements for historic Hadddo House look set to go ahead. Aberdeenshire Council's Formartine area committee has granted planning permission for the the restoration of the pheasantry, blah blah . The Kelly Burn bridge on the estate will be reinstated along with the upgrading of the car park at Craigie Wood and the building of a CYCLE TRACK".
Carol
Maillot Jaune

Return to Club News