Power meter

Flogging your gear or looking for that odd shaped widget, come on in to Ythan CC's bike Emporium.

Power meter

Postby Dave H » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39 am

Hello, I'm looking to buy a power meter, preferably a cranked based meter with ant+.

I've heard good things about the Quarqs /SRAM Red, with a power balance function. But would be interested to hear other peoples recommendations.

I would also be interested in buying a good condition second hand power meter (with ant+) if anyone has one for sale.

I'm still doing research on them and understand that I need to check the bottom bracket size/type on my bike to ensure right type for my bike. My b/b type/size I still need to confirm.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Power meter

Postby Andy D » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

As long as it is only for one bike the crank meters are best, I think. Although I have witnessed folks swapping cranks out and in of various bikes, which must be a nightmare!

I have used a powertap wheel and Fiona currently uses one. I think they are reasonable. They give you a fairly consistent number to work with. The issues arise when you use different measuring devices like wheel versus cranks versus wattbike etc and try to interpret the varying numbers as it seems few devices measure the same (including variations of the same model and device).

Powertap can be swapped around between bikes obviously and with an ant+ head unit, which you may already have, then this has been quite a good set up, from my experience.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:44 pm

I have both a power tap and quarq.

The quarq is on my tt bike and s good for training and recording power during races. It has a GPx bottom bracket which threw me a bit at first because I hadn't realised that the crank shaft is slightly tapered and wobbles when you try a shimano bottom bracket.

The only thing is you have to remember to do a quick calibration at the beginning of each ride to compensate for temperature.

I use the power tap as a training wheel and it gets shunted between my road bike, my cross bike and my tt bike. It is very easy to swap about. It's an older version so is a bit heavy for when you want weight weenie stuff.

The power tap doesn't need celebration at all. It as been back to. Paligap for repair once but that was under warranty a long time ago.

I've checked them both on the tt bike and had pretty good correlation between the two. The quarq reads about 5 watts higher. This is as elected as the power tap has losses from the chain to contend with.

I got both mine from bob at power meters.com
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Dave H » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks for the advice.

Mr A, you must be on rockstar wages to be able to afford all that kit :D

I spoke to the boys at Primera and they suggested getting a local bike shop to install, calibrate , pair the ant+ etc.

I have to work out if I need the BB30 or GPX (prob BB30), if I go for the Quarqs. Though the powertaps seem to be more versatile for swapping beteen bikes. Decisions... Are the Quarqs more suitable to racing (lighter) than the powertaps?

Mr A, did you install the Quarqs and calibrate yourself?
Dave H
Grifter

Postby Colin A » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 am

Yes I installed myself. For the quarq you have to do a bit of a calibration each time you ride. The main calibration is done when they put the unit together and when they bolt the chainring to it. As I understand it if you don't touch them then it works pretty much starlight out of the box.

The decision for the bottom bracket is determined by your frame type. The spec should tell you what type you have. The guru for powerpmeters in the uk is bob from

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/

Have a chat with him if you can. I hired a power tap from him originally and then go most of the hire costs off the unit when I bought it.

Are you saying I'm not worth my day rate?
:lol:

Not rock start wages, I just keep wife and kids on water and gruel so I can feed my bike addiction.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy Scouller » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:40 pm

CRC have a few good deals on power meters at the mo, the sram srm crank has 44% off, plus a few good deals on the powertap meters.
Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Postby vekur2001 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 pm

I have the Power2Max power meter (on a Rotor 3d crank). It's about £800 delivered and I use it for all training and racing. It only adds about 200g to the weight of the bike. I swap it between all my bikes, and it only takes about 2 minutes to get it off one bike and on to another (there's only 2 bolts to deal with). It has been very reliable - I've used it since early January in all conditions (sleet, snow, ice etc). I changed the battter in May (you apparently get about 300-400 hours use). The battery costs about £2 and is user changeable. Definitely worth a look. You order direct from Germany from their website. Delivery takes about 3-4 weeks.
vekur2001
Grifter

Return to Buy it, Sell it, Borrow it. Steal it?