Puncture Resistant Racing Tyres

Flogging your gear or looking for that odd shaped widget, come on in to Ythan CC's bike Emporium.

Puncture Resistant Racing Tyres

Postby Dave H » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:48 am

Dear Ythanites,

I'm off to Turkey in June to take part in the European Triathlon Championships and a little worried about puncturing, especially after watching the Tour of Turkey and noticing the roads to look a little rough around the the area I will racing.

From my limited research, I see that kelar puncture resistant tyres are available, but the trade off looks to be an increase in weight, which I am obviously trying to avoid.

Grateful if anyone can recommend a good racing tyre that has a good puncture resistant track record.

Thanks,

David
Dave H
Grifter

Re: Puncture Resistant Racing Tyres

Postby wardy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Just been looking through the 2013 Continental Tyre brochure:

The Continental Grand Prix 4-season may be a good bet.
The brochure says:

Technology for the 'Hell of the North'

Thanks to its DuraSkin™ anti-tear fabric, the Grand Prix 4-Season holds up under extreme conditions. In the Paris- Roubaix race, the "Hell of the North", cyclists equipped with DuraSkin™ enhanced tyres have the fewest tyre related problems during the race. Incorporating our special wear resistant carbon compound, the tyre is characterized by very good mileage performance as well as excellent adhesion on wet roads and at low temperatures.

With 23 mm, 25 mm and 28 mm versions, the Grand Prix 4-Season makes it possible to select the right tyre for various road qualities and comfort requirements. A double Vectran™ Breaker belt under the tread raises the puncture and cut protection to the highest level available on the market. Ideal for rough sportives and generally bad road conditions.

"The Continental GP 4-Season is the standard: full score in all categories! The tyre is lightweight and rolls well. It achieved by far the best result in offering fantastic grip and puncture protection, even in the cold and wet. Not just the top winter tyre." The test results from Road Bike Magazine 02/11.

Styled on the GP4000, but with extra protection layers for harsh weather conditions
Duraskin® cut-resistant layer from bead to bead plus 2 extra Vectran breakers
Black "Max Grip Silica" compound optimised for wet weather adhesion, low temperatures and extended tread life.
wardy
Grifter

Postby malcolm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Good tyres but really tight to the rims and a pain to get off if you are in a hurry. The Qls that had Contis on at their tyre changing session had real problems. Vittoria or Schwalbes are good to get on and off.
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Dave H » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 am

Gents,

Thanks for the info:

I found this customer review online: Puncture Resistance ... Continental GP4000S and Vitorria Zapphiro are superior. With the Continental GP4000S I ran over broken glass, which I missed with the front tyre, but clobbered with the rear tyre. I thought that the rear would puncture for sure, but it didn't and when I checked it at a stop there wasn't even a mark on the GP4000S tyre (very impressed). Even though the Michelin PRO3 Race front tyre missed the glass it had a small 10mm mark on the side of the trye. Don't know if I was lucky or not but I was very impressed with the GP4000S.

I'm going to compare the weights between brands and then try and decide which one to go for.

Thanks,

David
Dave H
Grifter

Postby wardy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 am

The Grand Prix 4000 S is a great tyre and has a Vectran anti-puncture breaker but if puncture avoidance is your main issue then the Grand Prix 4 season has a double Vectran breaker so would be expected to avoid more punctures than the GP 4000 S
wardy
Grifter

Postby Dave H » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

A quick comparison of tyre weights that claim to offer good puncture resistance:

Vittoria Diamante Pro Lite - 185g
Michelan Pro Race 3 - 200g
Continental Grand Prix 4000s - 205g
Continental Grand Prix 4 Season - 230g

My current tyre is a Swalbe Ultremo ZX HD - 190g, which is roughly the same weight as those above.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Michelans at £19:99 and described by Bike Radar as a full-blown race tyre claiming to be ‘virtually puncture proof’ and ‘extremely durable’, certainly fast, the best rolling tyre of our 'tough tyres' group by a clear margin.

They also come in funky colours as well, so good for triathletes.
Dave H
Grifter

Postby Nebulous » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:18 am

Tyres are very individual with lots of people hating the same tyres that others swear by. The bike radar review I found for the Michelins was very old - 2008. Things have moved on a bit since then.

I ran pro race 3s all last year with very few problems, but they have a reputation for cutting up really badly. They're a fast tyre but certainly not puncture proof.

The newer version is the pro race 4 with both a race and an endurance version. They are supposed to be much better than the 3s, including for puncture protection, but I moved to the race ones in Autumn and have had a really miserable time with a lot of punctures. Not helped by bad roads with a lot of water and debris on them. In hindsight I should probably have tried the endurance version. I've just given up and abandoned them to try something else.

Most 'race' tyres will cut up to varying degrees. Training tyres may fare better. Vittoria Rubino pros are seen as better than most at providing a balance between speed and durability, though the 4 seasons linked to by Wardy would certainly be pretty durable. On cycling forums I would say the gp4000s have more fans than anything else for durable race tyres though I've never tried them.
Nebulous
BMX

Postby Andy D » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Have to say that consistently the best tyres I have ridden are Conti's. I always use Conti Tubulars for TT's etc.

Conti GP 4000 S are excellent tyres, very durable, ride really nicely and I can't recall any puncture issues with them (which I could say was down to the poor protection - as opposed to hitting glass/pot holes etc) I have never found any particular difficulty in getting them on or off a rim either, as referred to by Malcolm and the QL's.

One word of caution on the Conti's is that although Team GB use them (and supplied a set to Fiona for her Pinarello training/solo-racing bike) there have been occasional problems of 'bad batches'. That resulted in Fiona's rear exploding on a Spanish mountain descent!! She got away with it and Continental will replace any faulty tyre but certainly made me wonder if their usually high standards had slipped.

As far as Michelin Pro 3's are concerned they are pretty good but cut up on poor surfaces very easily, perish quite quickly in my experience and don't seem to be that durable all round. Good race tyres for 'special occasions' but don't expect to get high mileage out of them.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby bbavidge » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Real life event from today:-

Left my son Joel in the capable hands of the QL coaches & headed out for a quick spin. 3.6 miles on & I ran over a nasty stone at +/-20mph. Instant puncture! Tyre:- Continental GP4000s. Removed the tyre and found an impressive size pinch hole on the tube. No obvious mark on the tyre. Fitted new tube & same tyre (no levers required) in a matter of minutes.

I've used these tyres on a number of wheels over the past couple of years. This is the first puncture & I don't think any 23mm tyre would have survived. Highly recommended & any reports of tricky fitting can be dismissed with the latest model.

Fingers crossed that I haven't set myself up for a repeat any time in the near future!

:oops:
bbavidge
Stabalizers

Postby Colin A » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 pm

This is heading towards an advert for GP4000s. I've got these on most of my road wheels and have found them pretty good for puncture resistance. I have used the pro 3s before and they are nice for a while but the colour soon fades and dirties up. They have a very smooth running surface and do cut up easily.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Next

Return to Buy it, Sell it, Borrow it. Steal it?