Operation Inchbrae- Stolen bikes in our area.

Flogging your gear or looking for that odd shaped widget, come on in to Ythan CC's bike Emporium.

Operation Inchbrae- Stolen bikes in our area.

Postby Colin A » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm

"Reducing the volume of bicycle thefts in Aberdeen, through Analysis, Awareness, Education and Enforcement"

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

To combat a rise in bike thefts in Aberdeen during the Summer and Autumn of 2012, Grampian Police launched Operation Inchbrae, adopting a four strand approach as outlined above.

From 1 July 2012 until 17 October 2012, there were over 300 bikes stolen within Aberdeen City, which is an average of 3 bikes per day.

CRIME UPDATE

Between Saturday 27 October 2012 and Friday 2 November 2012 there have been several bikes stolen, mostly from sheds/garages and tenements or unattended in the street. The most recognisable bikes as described by their owners are as follows:

CF0404771012
Dawes Discovery gent's pedal cycle, grey and blue in colour, with black seat, mudguards, small front suspension, 24 gears.

CF0405461012
Giant gent's mountain bike, navy blue in colour with Giant written in silver on the frame, rear mud guard is snapped in half.

CF0405721012
Diamondback Race DBX bicycle, blue in colour, 18" frame, red handlebar grips, front left handlebar scuffed down to metal.

CF0405811012
Core gent's mountain bike, silver frame with Core written in orange, red metal pedals and Continental tyres.

CF0400761012
Silver Fox gent's mountain bike, black and green (see above image)

CF0409341012
Carrera Banshee gent's mountain bike, black and grey in colour with distinctive white calliper brakes, and added Bike Hunt black front and rear mudguards. Headlights also fitted but easily removed.

CRIME PREVENTION/REDUCTION UPDATE

The following is some useful information to help prevent your bike being stolen.

• Get a good bike lock – 'D' locks or combinations locks are best.

• Always lock a bike through the frame when unattended – even if it is only for a few minutes.

• Where possible, lock it to a fence, tree or railing.

• Leave bikes where they can easily be seen by others and CCTV. This can deter a potential thief.

• Remove accessories that cannot be secured such as lights, pumps and quick release saddles.

• Put bikes in a secure garage or shed at home and fasten them to a ground anchor for extra security.

• Permanently security mark your bike to improve the chances of recovery. Keep a note of the serial number and where you have security marked

Obtain a copy of BIKE PASSPORT from Aberdeen Division Crime Reduction Unit, which will allow you to keep an accurate description and photograph of your bike in case you ever have to report it stolen to the police or insurer. Some of the bicycle outlets also have copies of this document.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Operation Inchbrae- Stolen bikes in our area.

Postby Erwan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks Colin. Would you happen to know where we can go to get our bikes security marked?

Sheldown Brown has a nice guide to keeping your bike locked, if anyone's interested:-
http://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
Erwan
Fisher Price Trike

Postby malcolm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Whilst I have been out of the force since last year I am not aware of any change in terms of bike marking. The old stamping kit isn't suitable for modern bikes as it has the potential to damage the frame. A UV pen is one option, normally on part of the frame that avoids too much mud etc, writing your postcode and house number is all you need to do.

Or

http://datatag.co.uk/bicycles.php

is another good option
malcolm
Maillot Jaune

Postby Baldieheidit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:02 pm

From 1 July 2012 until 17 October 2012, there were over 362 bikes stolen within Aberdeen City, which is an average of over 3 bikes per day.

CRIME UPDATE

Between Saturday 3 November and Thursday 8 November 2012 there have been eight bikes stolen, mostly from sheds/garages and tenements or unattended in the street. In recent months, the West End and City Centre areas have been worst affected by thieves, however this week the Kittybrewster area has been targeted.

The most recognisable bikes stolen, as described by their owners, are as follows:

CF0414251112
Apollo lady's mountain bike, yellow. Back seat, horn on handlebars and bottle holder on frame below seat area

CF0416731112
No Fear unisex bicycle, front suspension, rear disc brakes and No Fear written on the crossbar in black, red and white, 18 gears, 24-inch wheels. Some of the stickers are starting to peel off, handlebar grips are removable.

CF0416851112
Dawes gent's pedal cycle, red and black, 24-inch frame. Lights attached to the front and back of the bike, pump and bottle holder. The bike has 21 gears.

CF0421691112
Carrera Crossfire 1 hybrid gent's pedal cycle. Black and white, 21-inch frame and 21 gears. There are two lights, one on the front and back of the pedal cycle.

CF0421291112
Kona gent's mountain pedal cycle. Grey, with black seat. Mud guards front and rear, Cat's Eye lights front and rear, a 5 LED light on the front of the bike - no batteries within. The bike also has a green cap on the valve of the rear tyre.
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Baldieheidit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Folks

we have had great success with this operation so far and recovered numerous stolen bikes, some high value, some being advertised on well known auction sites and some from stopping suspicious individuals who look out of place on a fancy MTB. A number of people have been reported for Theft and Reset. Out of all the bikes recovered, none have been identified by UV markings.

With this in mind, I have taken possession of numerous UV pens and will distribute them at a QL Session so that you can write your Post Code underneath the saddle, or on the frame somewhere else in that vicinity.

As part of Operation Inchbrae, we use a UV Lamp on all of the bicycles we come across just in case they are marked.

The pens will be useful for marking other valuables you have too ;)

Right, I'm away to mark my bikes :oops:

Nick Thom
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Baldieheidit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Grampian Police have produced a leaflet which contains basic Crime Prevention advice, and incorporates the logo's of 3 of the local cycling clubs who have indicated they are keen to support Operation Inchbrae (Ythan, Deeside and Ecurie Neeps). The leaflets will be distributed to every household in the worst affected areas within Aberdeen, to heighten awareness of bike theft in their area, particularly around the Christmas period, when there will be a great deal of shiney new bikes on the go.

Once I get back to work next week, I will post an update about the most recent crime hotspots and methods of theft, but prior to me going on holiday, the West End, City Centre and Old Aberdeen areas were the worst affected, with thefts of bikes (locked and unlocked) from tenement stairwells being the most prevelant.

regards

Nick T
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Erwan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:46 am

malcolm wrote:Whilst I have been out of the force since last year I am not aware of any change in terms of bike marking. The old stamping kit isn't suitable for modern bikes as it has the potential to damage the frame. A UV pen is one option, normally on part of the frame that avoids too much mud etc, writing your postcode and house number is all you need to do.

Or

http://datatag.co.uk/bicycles.php

is another good option

Cheers, I think I'll go with the cheaper option ;)

Baldieheidit wrote:Grampian Police have produced a leaflet which contains basic Crime Prevention advice, and incorporates the logo's of 3 of the local cycling clubs who have indicated they are keen to support Operation Inchbrae (Ythan, Deeside and Ecurie Neeps). The leaflets will be distributed to every household in the worst affected areas within Aberdeen, to heighten awareness of bike theft in their area, particularly around the Christmas period, when there will be a great deal of shiney new bikes on the go.

Once I get back to work next week, I will post an update about the most recent crime hotspots and methods of theft, but prior to me going on holiday, the West End, City Centre and Old Aberdeen areas were the worst affected, with thefts of bikes (locked and unlocked) from tenement stairwells being the most prevelant.

regards

Nick T

Good to hear the fortunate luck of some people getting their bikes back.

Any chance to get digital copies of the flyers? May be worth putting one up in the local bike shed.. even though mine is safely kept in the flat :oops:
Erwan
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Baldieheidit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:13 pm

A digital copy of the leaflet will be attached to the next bulletin, which is being emailed out today.

I have a few UV pens and will take them along to the QL session tomorrow. Anybody who wants to mark their bikes can see me there or I will leave a handful of pens with Colin and/or Carol.

The UV marker is permanent, and as Malcolm said, your Postcode and house number somewhere about the saddle area is all that is needed (although a saddle is easily removed).

thanks

Nick
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Baldieheidit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Between Friday 9 November and Friday 16 November 2012 there have been several more bikes stolen, mostly from gardens and tenements, or whilst left unattended in the street. In recent months, the West End and City Centre areas have been worst affected by thieves, however this week the Kittybrewster and Northfield area's have been targeted.

The most recognisable bikes as described by their owners are as follows:

CF0424001112
Marin B17 child's mountain bike, black in colour with a black seat, and it has "MARIN" written in silver on the crossbar. Gears and brakes are lime green. There is a security number on the bike, which is F719BG4068. Owner thinks this number could be on the pedal.

CF0424041112
Norco 125 gent's mountain bike, white with a black seat, and has "NORCO 125" written in light grey on the top bar. It has black wheels and black handle bars. "Rock Shox" and the "Argyle" are written on the forks. There is a frame number on the bracket under the bottom bracket, although the number is not known. There is a small rip on the side of the front tyre.

CF0424171112
Giant lady's hybrid bike, grey/black in colour with GIANT in white lettering with red edging. Rust on handlebars, hole in black seat. There are reflectors behind seat and on front above tyre, black rubber pedals, black bell attached. Six years old, fair condition.

CF0425091112
Ridgeback unisex child's bike, green with orange pedals and orange handle grips.

CF0425491112
Raleigh lady's mountain bike, purple and white in colour, with "RALEIGH" in white on frame, black seat and black handle grips. Front light.

CF0425741112
Marin B16 gent's mountain bike, black with white writing saying "Marin" on the frame. Has flashes of green on the wheels. 21 gears activated by a lever on the handlebars.

CF0426751112
Raleigh Bermuda gent's racing bike, blue in colour, 23-inch frame with full suspension. Cow bar handle bars and knobbly tyres.

CF0428281112
Cannondale SL3 gent's mountain bike, black in colour. Serial no: F110504245.

CF0417041112
Boardman NTB lady's mountain bike, white in colour, with "BOARDMAN" in black writing. White seat, disc brakes, 21 gears.

CF0430411112
Revolution gent's mountain bike, black in colour. 18 gears, small metal bar coming from handle bars for attachment, small bag on front of frame used for storing small items such as keys.

CF0430851112
Carrera Crossfire 2 gent's hybrid cycle, silver in colour, with Carrera written on frame, Crossfire 2 written on front wheel.

CF0431061112
Specialized FSRXC Pro gent's mountain bike, grey in colour, writing on the down tube, 21-24 gears, front and rear disc brakes, front and rear suspension.

CF0432721112
Trek 7300 gent's hybrid bicycle, Blue and white in colour, with front suspension. Frame number WTU029C14359, which is stamped on bottom bracket. Frame size 17.9", wheels are Bonträger AT-750. Shimano Alivio gears, black saddle with white and grey detail, front and rear mudguards. There is an Alpine bike sticker on the bike.
Complainer has bike passport containing full details.

CF0432291112
Specialized Hard Rock gent's mountain bike, blue in colour, 17.5" frame, black soft rubber saddle, triple chainring, disc brakes front and rear, black mountain bike-style handlebars with black rubber grips, silver-coloured metal pedals.
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Baldieheidit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:29 pm

The Crime Prevention poster has been attached to an email sent to Colin. If you want to get a digital copy, this can be forwarded to you so you can print it, but I do not have all email addrresses.

Colin has been given a number of UV pens, so if you haven't marked your bikes, I would advise you to get hold of a pen and do it. It takes 10 seconds to do it!

regards

Nick T
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Next

Return to Buy it, Sell it, Borrow it. Steal it?