2 Shifters?

General chit chat

2 Shifters?

Postby John Hunter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Has anyone seen a widget to handle having 2 shifters for 1 mech?

Ive seen a widget on Parker that screws to your downtube boses and handles 2 shifters in with 1 out, But as I dont have the bosses not a possibility.

Id like to be able to shift the rear mech from the tri bars as well as the normal STI levers

any ideas? I might have to design something and get Graham P to weld it up for me.

Of course, the easier solution would be to get a TT bike......
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Re: 2 Shifters?

Postby Colin A » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm

I haven't seen this but I guess you would have to put the shifters in series with the tt shifter at the end somehow rather than in Parallel.

I might have dreamt it but there used to be a quck release system where you could change between STI shifters and bar end shifters. That would be best if you are taking the TT bars off and on.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 pm

That wud be ideal...
"no longer the wrong bike, no longer almost the right bike, now the right bike!!"
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Don't be such a grip!! Get a TT bike!!!

Doesn't have to be anything amazing, go fixed for some serious cheap and cheerful TT'ing. Obree was breaking Scottish Records on a fixed bodged up (but obviously well engineered) testing bike. You can buy a basic fixie bike for anout 300 quid (Fuji Track?) and all you would need is a set of clip on bars or swap the drops for a TT set up (oh you'll need a front brake too, if you want to survive - and be road and race legal!)

If you don't want to test on a fixed, then all you really need is a road frame with a short head tube to get low down, some TT bars and maybe bar end shifters, weight shouldn't be a major issue unless you are doing a hilly (fixies are light by nature - no gubbins attached to weigh them down, feel free to challenge me on this assertion after the Ythan Hilly which I may well do on the fixed - which I have weighed our good carbon one at less than the UCI weight limit of 6.8kg, even with fairly heavy pedals and the full TT bars on)
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby John Hunter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 pm

So I know what bike to buy, have £4k spare, sadly no where to keep it as yet. I'm still working on the missus, she seems keen on other small people who look like us taking up all the room and not bikes.
John Hunter
Maillot Jaune

Return to Chinwag