Holidays next year - Tenerife

General chit chat

Holidays next year - Tenerife

Postby Russ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:08 pm

looking at a holiday over the Easter hols in the past its been Lanzarote but Jen is wondering about Tenerife - any body been biking there of late? any other recommendations? Requirements sun, heat, water, decent routes.
Russ
Maillot Jaune

Re: Holidays next year - Tenerife

Postby Chris C » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm interested in this as well Russ. We did Majorca last year but would like to try something different. Hasn't Mr A been out there?
Chris C
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Nope I went to Gran Canaria.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... lands.html

The hotel has a bike shop attached, handily 8-)

http://www.free-motion.net/en

Good guys to go cycling with. I only went out on the road with them but they do mountainbiking as well.

Theres a waterpark a short taxi ride away, The beach is near, camel rides etc.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Eenies » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Tenerife is great for cycling...the pro's seem to like it anyway. I've been there the last few years in Nov, Feb and May. You can get scorching weather at any time and you are just as likely to get overcast conditions which can be chilly once you are at altitude.
I've always stayed in Costa Adeje so it takes 20-30 minutes to get through the metropolis and out to the quiet roads. The further you get from the coast the quieter the roads are. There's "Bike Point" in Las Americas which hires Focus bikes and is good for advice and maps. Most of the loops I did on the last trip involved heading up to Villaflor, which at 1400m is one of the highest villages in "Europe" and a good place to get a snack, a coffee and to refill the bidons. It's about 16 miles from my hotel and would take me 2hrs. From there it's another 8 miles to the rim of the caldera at 2100m at a steady 8-10% and would take another hour. From there the descent back to the hotel would take 50 minutes and involves more braking than pedalling.
On the last day of my trip there in May I had just settled into a rhythm on the climb out of Los Christianos when Team Sky passed me heading down. Luckily I was wearing my special edition yellow Sky jersey so got a wave from a few of the guys. Much later, about 3 miles from the top, Richie Porte and Vasil Kiriyenka passed me (at speed) and Richie was kind enough to chuck me a Gatorade bidon. They must have been on an easy day as later, as I was descending, I passed Stannard, G, Froome and the rest slogging their way up. That's not the kind of thing you see between Crichie and Auchnagatt.
Eenies
Fisher Price Trike

Postby Russ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:26 pm

some good info and links - thanks, looks like it'll be february again next year so just have to decide whether to play it safe and head to lanzarote (although the roads have been done a few times now) or head somewhere else - decisions decisions.
Russ
Maillot Jaune

Postby megamouth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Some good walks there too Russ. The Masca Gorge west of Los Gigantes has hobbits in it - spectacular. There are also some good 'pitoned' climing routes and easy ways up on to the top of some extraordinary volcanic outcrops behind the visitor centre in Teide national park.
megamouth
Maillot Vert

Return to Chinwag