Mechanical question

General chit chat

Mechanical question

Postby Andy Scouller » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am

Hi all,

I'm want to pick the brains of the more mechanically minded, my road bikes rear wheel has developed some lateral play, 3-4 mm. I have checked the qr and its tight, any other thoughts? Could it be the bearings? Or something more serious?

The wheels are Planet X super light hubs on their on rims.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Andy
Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Re: Mechanical question

Postby bbavidge » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 pm

It could be a number of things as 3-4mm is quite a lot of movement.

Suggestions:-

Spin wheel and check rim trueness against brake block (verifies wheel/spoke integrity)
Remove wheel & check to verify it's nothing to do with frame/attachment mechanism
Wiggle cassette to check it is intact & secure (you might know this already)
Remove skewer & check for sideways play on hub assembly

If it is the hub & it just needs tightened I would dis-assemble & inspect the hub/bearing anyway to make sure any loose play hasnt caused any unwanted wear and tear internally. Bearing types do vary but it should be some kind of cone/ball system. Fairly straightforward to do & plenty of youtube videos to point you in the right direction.

Re-assemble & pay particular attention to wheel alignment/offset/centering to ensure rim runs central to frame/chainstays. It also aligns cassette sprockets to shifting index datum so you dont have to adjust cable when changing wheels.

I have a truing stand which makes centralising the rim/wheel quite easy. Any decent bike shop should be able to do this for you although some take weeks to do the work. If you're stuck let me know & I can probably help. Sounds like it needs a thorough check though just to make sure.

Good luck!
Bill.
bbavidge
Stabalizers

Postby Baldieheidit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:12 am

I had a similar situation last year and everyone I moaned to about it, diagnsed bearings as the problem, however it turned out to be the rear drop outs of my bike were loose and needed tightened back up to the frame.

Nick
Baldieheidit
Maillot Vert

Postby Andy Scouller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

Cheers guys,

It gives me a few things to look at, going to get it on the work stand tonight and have a proper look.

Will let you know how I get on.

Andy
Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Postby Andy Scouller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:25 pm

So it turns out not to be too terminal, loose cone nuts... Gave be a reason to service the hub though. All sorted now and hunky dory.

Cheers chaps.
Andy Scouller
Raleigh Banana

Return to Chinwag