Di2

General chit chat

Di2

Postby Colin A » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 am

As part of my rebuild project for the evo I bought the internal battery for di2. Ths worked well until I decided to do a firmware upgrade. At this point the software stopped recognising the rear mech.

Luckily bike station have the full di2 interface ( the only shop in the nortn east as far as i could tell) and Colin managed o get everything talking to each other again( thanks col)All cables re now ticked away nicely and battery is concealed in the seatpost.

Now f I can only get this press fit bottom braet sorted the world will be perfect. I love a good bike fettling project. Over the winter the tt bike is going electronic.
May I remind you of that scene
with your arms aloft in Aberdeen
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Re: Di2

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:39 am

Glad Bike Station sorted out the software, it was them who updated mine.
Richard
Stabalizers

Postby bbavidge » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Is this the upgrade that allows multi-shift, diagnostics, etc? I read that with the addition of the SM-PCE1 interface you just install the corresponding PC program & take control via that. Sounds simple!?!

I have the external wired/battery system on one bike. The gear shifting is great. Is it worth upgrading or would you recommend going to BikeHut?

P.S. hope the youngster involved in the Newburgh accident is ok!
bbavidge
Stabalizers

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:49 pm

It is the upgrade which allows multi shifting. Personally I thinks it's well worth it, especially as you can change from bottom to top while braking.

I wouldn't like to comment on the process. I know mine was the first one bike station did and they had few teething issues, I'm sure if you asked they could advise.
Richard
Stabalizers

Postby Colin A » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I did the upgrade with my pce 2. This allows you to connect to your lap top but doesn't give the full diagnostics. I'm going to ride t he bike over the weekend and then change the settings on Sunday afternoon. I hope it still recognises the rd after that.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 am

I liked the idea of electronic shifting and have heard good reviews BUT my mate who works on Alpine cycling tours reckons there hasn't been a tour in recent months where he has been there with people with Di2 and Campag electronic shifting which hasn't been problematic or stopped working altogether. Now that might be the changes in temperature associated with riding over high mountains but sounds like a potential 'real world' problem.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with Di2, as I still believe it is the future but would be interested to see how it works at this stage of development, for the average cyclist.
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby Colin A » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Andy,

I aspire to be an average cyclist. I once was 81st in Scotland. :D

So far I have been impressed with DI2.

I didn't like the external battery, but that has been solved. I was worried about battery life but so far that has been fine. The only issue I had was when I tried to do the upgrade and messed up the connection.
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Postby Andy D » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Good stuff. Don't want to be the harbinger of doom (as usual!) but Fiona also tells me there are issues associated with it going into 'crash mode' which apparently is a feature for safety/protection of the system in a crash - but has activated at random times and requires a re-set, which you need to know how to do out on the road.

This stuff scares me a little as I wouldn't want to be miles from anywhere with only top or bottom gear available.....

I guess what I am saying is, I hope you and anyone else using it will bring us reports of good and bad so we can take the electronic plunge (or not) after you (the financial guinea pig!) have gone through any trials and tribulations first!!
Andy D
Maillot Jaune

Postby megamouth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 am

Can I retro-fit it to my circa 1975 Peugot (Reynolds 501 tubing) with down tube shifters? - :lol:
megamouth
Maillot Vert

Postby Colin A » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:52 am

Let me get my drill and masonry drill bits and ill have a go. What could possibly go wrong?
Colin A
Maillot Jaune

Return to Chinwag