Bike Insurance

General chit chat

Bike Insurance

Postby Fiona Fudge » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am

For the last few years I have purchased contents insurance from Marks and Spencer as they provide fantastic cover for bikes in the home, away from home and whilst racing.

My renewal has come through today and although they haven't mentioned any changes in the policy, I see that they have significantly changed the bike cover. M&S now only cover bikes up to 1000 as standard and do not cover for racing etc.

Does anyone know of any other good home contents cover for bikes??

Thanks
Fiona
Fiona Fudge
Maillot Vert

Re: Bike Insurance

Postby JimBo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Fiona,

I looked for bike cover above the usual amounts quoted in the standard policies from a number of companies, all were in the range of £1000 - £1500, my current one that you cannot find on price comparison websites, quoted a pretty high price to get the bike cover increased, in the end I invested in a high end bike lock, built a extension that incorporated the entrance of the garage into the house, and stacked everything against the garage door, radical but it works. Making it pretty nigh impossible to get into the garage to get the bikes.

I did look at separate insurance for the bikes but it was more than my house insurance, and my car put together, must be a good scam going on out there. I did give up in the end.

When I went on holiday with the bikes, rather than having them on the outside of the car, I bought a inside bike rack from a German company called Bikeinside, left the bikes in here if needed the theory being the car alarm would go off if anyone had a go for the bike, kept the bikes safe and when traveling we could travel a pretty, "legal" speeds without worrying about if we had secured them enough.

http://www.bikeinside.de

Jim.
"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank"
JimBo
Maillot Vert

Postby leedelazouch » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Mine is with Shiela's Wheels of all places. House, contents.... tt bike, cross bike and road bike as extra £ 4800 inc racing etc £ 235 year

A BC recommended site quoted £400 ish pr yr just for bikes with the discount... I think not :lol:

Hope this helps
leedelazouch
Stabalizers

Postby JimBo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Wow, going to look at that when the renewal comes up.

Jim.
"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank"
JimBo
Maillot Vert

Return to Chinwag